Lowes claims first win of the season for Samsung Honda
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Lowes claims first win of the season for Samsung Honda
[Image: samsunghondahdr.jpg]

Samsung Honda’s Alex Lowes scored a sensational win at the third round of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship at Oulton Park yesterday as he put in a commanding performance in the opening race of the day.

In race one, Lowes led from the start but was battling hard with defending champion Shane Byrne. His rival then crashed out of contention allowing the Samsung Honda rider to take a trouble-free win in front of a bumper crowd at the Cheshire circuit. In the second race, Lowes was again fighting for the win with Byrne and Josh Brookes, with the trio swapping places throughout the race. Lowes finished third to maintain his consistent podium finishing streak this season whilst taking the lead in the standings by a single point. Ryuichi Kiyonari meanwhile continued to have problems, scoring a fourteenth place in the first race, with an improved performance in race two to cross the line in twelfth.

In the Motorpoint British Supersport Championship Jason O'Halloran finished eighth in the Sprint race but made some improvements for the Feature race, which saw the Australian claim his best result of the season. Throughout the race he fought for a third place finish, but on the last lap he was forced to settle for fourth.

Havier Beltran – Team Manager

This weekend Alex has been on fire, fast and hard working and to win is a fantastic result for the team. He has matured and grown up in some areas and is certainly a different rider now compared to last season. It is disappointing that we have not been able to improve with Kiyo this weekend – he needs to improve and he needs to discuss his problems and we come up with something. Jason did a fantastic job from ninth and battled it out for the podium which was a real improvement. He has made very good progress and that can only improve at Knockhill.

[Image: alexlowesatoultonraceday.jpg]

Alex Lowes

I’m overjoyed to win at this circuit where I have struggled in the past and to move ahead in the standings is fine but this is a long season and I have to stay consistent. I had to win here as my twin brother Sam won last week in World Supersport and I cannot have him putting one over me! In the first race I settled into a good rhythm and enjoyed the race. The second race was a bit frustrating and the rising track temperature didn’t help, but I am not making excuses. Once Shakey gets away he is hard to beat but we had a bit of a dust up at the end which was fun. I am just enjoying battling with him and the rest of them and can’t wait for Knockhill.

Ryuichi Kiyonari

We got some points which is better than at Thruxton and this time we have finished but I’ve not reached my targets. The bike is better but we need to be faster still. In 2010 if I had a problem I was able to solve it but this time I’m not able to solve what the problem is. I will never give up and I have to keep on trying because something might change.

Jason O’Halloran

Today was a good step in the right direction; I had a much better feeling with the Samsung Honda after the changes made by my team overnight. It's the first race where I have rode with a good amount of confidence and as the race went on I made some good strong passes. I had a small problem with the quick shifter which made it hard when the bike was cutting out but I enjoyed the race and can't wait for the next one.

British Superbike race 1:

1) Alex Lowes (HON), 2) James Ellison, 3) Josh Brookes, 4) Jon Kirkham, 5) Tommy Bridewell, 6) Peter Hickman, 7)James Westmoreland, 8) PJ Jacobsen, 9) Chris Walker, 10) Tristan Palmer, 14) Ryuichi Kiyonari (HON)

British Superbike race 2:

1) Shane Byrne, 2) Josh Brookes, 3) Alex Lowes (HON), 4) Jon Kirkham, 5) Tommy Bridewell, 6) Chris Walker, 7) Howie Mainwaring, 8) Keith Farmer, 9) Tristan Palmer, 10) Josh Waters, 12) Ryuichi Kiyonari (HON)

British Supersport race 1:

1) Stuart Easton, 2) Alastair Seeley, 3) Billy McConnell, 4) Glen Richards, 5) Graeme Gowland, 6) Glenn Irwin, 7) Richard Cooper, 8) Jason O’Halloran (HON), 9) Scott Smart, 10) Deane Brown

British Supersport race 2:

1) Alastair Seeley, 2) Stuart Easton, 3) Billy McConnell, 4) Jason O’Halloran (HON), 5) Glen Richards, 6) Graeme Gowland, 7) Ben Wilson, 8) Scott Smart, 9) Taylor Mackenzie, 10) Jake Dixon

07-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Website Find Reply