TV RULES?
Anonymous
Unregistered

TV RULES?
Called in at OULTON today,Laying new tarmac again, from hilltop to knickerbrook.Asked why chicane,was told it makes good shots for TV .Any comments would be most welcome.CHEERS BARNESIE. .

28-04-2003, 08:46 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: TV RULES?
Barnsie,

Sadly when TV gets involved in sport everything revolves around the great god.

A few pertinent questions:-

Would Dajiro Katoh have received better treatment if the race had been stopped immediately and proper medics on the scene?

I love my rugby football(union) and I am told that referees have been instructed NOT to stop play too often, it takes away from the spectacle.

TV would like football matches to play four quarters, look back to World Cup in States.

Tennis The dreaded tie breaker we will never see the like of the famous Wimbledon game over two days.

Bowls on TV we have new ideas sets rather than the old tried games, darts the same.

Most smaller sports are told get TV and get sponsors roped in, most people are unaware that in manymost cases the sports organisers PAY to have TV present that eats up the sponsors money and what do the competitors get -- NOWT.

No Television is a business getting fat at the expense of the competitors.

That's how I see it unfortunately,

Big D.
29-04-2003, 02:07 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: TV RULES?
Well then Derek i think its about time tv companies put something back into the sport?
29-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: SPONSORED TIDDLY WINKS ?
Spectator sport !!!

TV can turn some sports into succes and then just as easily destroy them with lousy commentating, too much exposure, too much money in the wrong areas, and changes of policy..

Look at wrestling, scrambles, trials, etc etc...

Will bikes go the same way
29-04-2003, 07:50 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unfortunatly we cant have it both ways,alot of people have been screaming that bikes receive less coverage than they should for years and when that coverage comes it brings with it the pitfalls as well as the good things,the unfortunate thing about it is that money talks as it does in every other sport in the world that receives substantial media coverage.....the question is, do we want bike racing to remain unspoilt and relativly obscure or do we want a global spectecle run by money men in suits where bike racers become as popular as F1 drivers?

For me the former.
30-04-2003, 09:15 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our chosen sport does need money. Good TV coverage does attract Sponsors (Money). TV coverage does bring the sport to the screens of the general public. I have met up with lot of "civilians" who follow the World Super Bikes because of TV coverage, they have found it more exciting than F1 Cars. The late and Great Barry Sheen became popular through TV exposure. I recently smashed up both ankles and the left tibia at motocross and because of the graphic metalwork, unexpected people have compared my lifestyle to Barry. Very flattering to a silly old f*rt like me.
Yes, I most cetainly agree that a higher percentage of the big bucks, generated by any TV coverage, must be passed back to the heroic riders.
05-05-2003, 03:49 PM