TT experience to savour for Penz13.com team
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
TT experience to savour for Penz13.com team
[Image: penz13logo.jpg]

The 2013 TT festival has been an amazing experience for all competitors who have taken on the awe-inspiring famous Mountain Course that first saw race action more than 100 years ago.

This year has been particularly special as Ulsterman Michael Dunlop – nephew of the legendary Joey Dunlop – has taken TT 2013 by storm, setting new lap and race records in nearly every race he’s contended, including an amazing 131.22 mph lap on a Superstock machine and 128.667 mph on a Supersport bike.

Although TT Legend John McGuinness no longer dominated the Mountain Course as in previous years, his new absolute lap record of 131.6708 mph in Sunday’s Superbike race – and his 20th Isle of Man TT race victory in Friday’s Senior race showed just how much the TT still means to him, as he beat team-mate Michael Dunlop by 10 seconds to make it a record 41 podiums in total.

Taking on the TT challenge in 2013 were the Penz13.com BMW Racing Team, consisting of Englishman Steve Mercer on an HP4, Swiss rider Herve Gantner and debutant Steven Michels from Germany on S 1000 RR machinery.

On Monday 3 June, Mercer powered his HP4 to a sensational 8th spot during the Superstock TT, making it his career best result – and also that of the Penz13.com team – at the Isle of Man. Teammate Herve Gantner took 32nd spot on his BMW S 1000 RR.

The day before, Mercer had achieved a fantastic 12th place in the Superbike TT on board his stock BMW HP4, posting a best lap of 125.546 mph on the first of the six lap thriller and missing out on a Silver Replica by a whisker! Teammate Herve Gantner had to pull out on race four after a risk of his engine overheating forced him to retire on safety grounds.

Unfortunately, Steven Michels had crashed in Saturday’s practice session and was unable to compete in the races.

This left the final ‘Blue Riband’ event on 7 June – the Senior TT – in which Herve Gantner finished in 26th place, posting his best lap time of the week. Steve Mercer narrowly missed out on the Privateers Championship when he was forced to retire on lap 3 of six with a technical problem, having overworked the clutch. Aside of his DNF during the Senior TT, Mercer earner 50 points in total, as he was the best private rider during the Superbike and Superstock TT. Mercer only took part in the 1000cc classes and missed out in the Supersport races, which also count towards the Privateers Championship.

“It’s a pity I was forced to retire from the Senior,” said Mercer. “But better to retire than crash here! I think I was a bit hard on the clutch with the two starts to this race. All in all though, I am satisfied with my TT performance and have been happy with the HP4. I was able to set my personal best lap, getting quicker every time out, and I brought home an 8th place during the Superstock TT, which is my best result ever on the Island. In total, we made some great steps and I’m really looking forward to next year’s races.”

10-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Website Find Reply