Derek Sheils takes pole for home showdown at Skerries 100
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Derek Sheils takes pole for home showdown at Skerries 100
[Image: skerries100-2013.jpg]

Dublin rider Derek Sheils will start from pole position for Saturday’s Open and Grand Final races at the Skerries 100 road races after taking the top spot from Isle of Man TT hero Michael Dunlop.

CD Racing rider Sheils, a winner in the premier class at Skerries two years ago, set the fastest time of 1m 40.134s on Friday to grab the number one position on the grid from Dunlop, who set the Isle of Man TT alight with a thunderous four-timer last month.

William Dunlop will start from third position on the grid on his CD Racing/Milwaukee Yamaha R6 and had the honour of posting the fastest lap time overall during practice on his 600cc Yamaha in 1m 39.240s to claim pole for the Supersport race.

Saintfield’s Davy Morgan, local rider Michael Sweeney and Jamie Hamilton on the Vauxhall KMR Kawasaki were the top six in the premier class.

Last year, William Dunlop set the fastest lap of the 600cc race as he closed in on Ryan Farquhar and Michael Dunlop before crashing out at high speed after the famous Gillies Leap section of the course on the fourth lap, suffering a dislocated shoulder.

He secured pole for the Supersport class from brother Michael, who lapped in 1m 40.417s with Lisburn man Michael Pearson third fastest in 1m 41.875s.

Derek McGee was fourth ahead of Ballyclare’s Jamie Hamilton on Ryan Farquhar’s Vauxhall KMR Kawasaki ZX-6R, followed by Saintfield’s Davy Morgan and local rider Michael Sweeney.

[Image: wdunlopatcadwell2013.jpg]

CD Racing/Milwaukee Yamaha rider Dunlop said:

“The weather was good but conditions weren’t great as it was a bit dusty out there and the circuit was bumpier than last year.

“I think we were about three or four seconds slower than the lap record set a couple of years ago when me and Michael were going at it and it will take something special to break the record tomorrow, although it depends on the situation I suppose.

“I qualified third on the grid for the Open and Grand Final races but if I’m in the top six I’ll be happy, because I’ll probably be swamped off the line on the 600 on the run to the first corner and after that the big bikes will be really hard to pass around here.

“I’m looking forward to the Supersport race and it’ll be hard work because Michael is full of confidence after the TT and everyone expects him to win, so if I can be close to him then I’ll be happy enough,”
he added.

“It’s really disappointing I don’t have the Milwaukee Yamaha Superbike but that’s the way it goes and I’ll have to wait until we get a run on it at Walderstown.”

Morgan took the fastest time in the 250cc class from Sweeney and William Dunlop, who is riding brother Michael’s TSR Honda.

William was quickest on his Delaney Honda in the 125cc session from Seamus Elliott and Paul Robinson, with Sam Dunlop, Bruce Moulds and Sam Wilson the leading half dozen. Roads close on Saturday at 9am.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
06-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Website Find Reply