Byrne Bounces Back To Victory At Brands Hatch
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Byrne Bounces Back To Victory At Brands Hatch
[Image: rapid-solicitors-kawasaki-header2.jpg]

Reigning MCE British Superbike Champion Shane 'Shakey' Byrne bounced back from a high speed race one crash to take victory in race two to maintain his championship challenge in round six of the series at his local Brands Hatch circuit today.

Aboard the Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki ZX-10R, the Sittingbourne rider qualified on pole position and was looking to maintain his winning streak having won the previous seven successive races around the 2.4 mile Grand Prix track in his native Kent.

The triple MCE BSB champion was looking good to add to his tally in the opening 18-lap race as he battled for the victory but as he made a move on lap 13 at Hawthorns Corner, he crashed out at high speed, luckily without injury but the Minxflix supported Paul Bird Motorsport Kawasaki ZX-10R was severely damaged as a result.

Hard work by the Penrith-based team saw the machine repaired and Byrne took his place on the grid for race two in front of another packed house in the sunshine and this time, there was to be no denying the 36-year-old.

Byrne hit the front from the start and despite coming under extreme pressure from James Ellison and Alex Lowes, he was able to fend off his rivals to take his eighth victory of the season and maintain his lead at the top of the table. It was Byrne's 49th career MCE BSB victory and took his winning tally to 13 in his career around the Brands Hatch GP circuit.

Team-mate Keith Farmer was making his return to racing after suffering leg injuries last time out at Snetterton and although he was still in considerable pain, the Clogher, Northern Ireland rider dug deep and was rewarded with a pair of top ten finishes to maintain his top ten standing in the championship.

The reigning Pirelli National Superstock 1000 champion followed up an eighth place in the opening race with tenth in race two to maintain his hopes of securing a coveted Showdown place over the next few rounds.

Shane Byrne:

"I feel much better now than what I did after the first race, that's for sure. I had a plan for the first race and it was all coming to fruition but no sooner had I got the lead from Josh Brookes than I was down. The team worked really hard in between races to get the bike ready and to bounce back with a win is brilliant. I made a good start and realised the importance of the win so a big thanks to the team, that victory's for them."

Keith Farmer:

"This weekend has been a tough one as I wasn't sure I could ride so to come away with a pair of top ten results is a huge bonus. I just dug deep and did the best I could and hopefully, the three week break will give my leg more time to heal and I can come back stronger at Oulton Park."

Paul Bird, Team Owner:

"Shakey's crash was just one of those things and I expected nothing other than for him to bounce back with a win in race two. The team had to totally rebuild the bike as there was around £15k of damage so he won race two for them like the proper champion he is. He's well on course for the Showdown and to win eight out of the twelve races so far isn't too shoddy. Keith toughed it out this weekend and fair play to him for grinding out a pair of top ten results so hopefully he'll be much fitter and stronger at Oulton Park. I'm proud of my riders and my team tonight."

MCE British Superbike Championship Race 1 - 18 laps

1 Josh Brookes (Suzuki)
2 Alex Lowes (Honda)
3 Ryuichi Kiyonari (Honda)
4 James Westmoreland (BMW)
5 PJ Jacobsen (Suzuki)
6 Jon Kirkham (BMW)
8 Keith Farmer (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)
DNF Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki

MCE British Superbike Championship Race 2 - 18 laps

1 Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)
2 James Ellison (Yamaha)
3 Alex Lowes (Honda)
4 Josh Brookes (Suzuki)
5 Ryuichi Kiyonari (Honda)
6 James Westmoreland (BMW)
10 Keith Farmer (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)

Championship Standings (after six rounds)

1 Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 232pts
2 Lowes 211
3 Brookes 210
4 Ellison 120
5 Kiyonari 110
6 Kirkham 100
10 Farmer (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 64

21-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Website Find Reply