Redding dedicates victory to Barry Sheene
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Redding dedicates victory to Barry Sheene
[Image: sreddingheadshot.jpg]

Scott Redding proved to be a hugely popular Moto2™ winner at the Hertz British Grand Prix, becoming the first ever Briton to win an intermediate class race at his home event.

Prior to the racing on Sunday, a Tribute Parade was organised to mark the tenth anniversary year of the passing of Barry Sheene, double 500 World Champion of 1976 and 1977 and who famously battled Kenny Roberts at Silverstone in 1979.

In front of Silverstone’s largest crowd yet since MotoGP™ returned to the Northamptonshire venue in 2010, Redding thrilled onlookers.

"What won me the race is that I was so focused and consistent," the Marc VDS Racing Team rider told motogp.com following the podium celebrations. "I checked behind twice, just to see where my rivals were. I made one mistake, when the bike jumped out of sixth gear and I went back to second at the end of the back straight – I was really lucky to save it, but it didn’t knock my confidence; I got straight back to it and felt so good. I stayed focused and tried to keep it smooth. In the end, I just kept up the same lap times, so I was really happy with how I performance out there."

The 20-year-old from Gloucestershire was keen to point out that he could hear the many cheers of his home crowd during the Grand Prix.

"Even during the race, in the slow chicane when the RPM is low, I could hear people going crazy," he laughed. "I think for them to see me at the front was amazing.

"I have to dedicate this day to Barry Sheene - it’s the only thing I can do. I am really a fan of his, so to have this today is really amazing. On the slow-down lap, everyone was going absolutely crazy! The marshals, the crowd, my family…it was almost leaving me in tears. I’m so happy with today."

Championship-wise, Redding – who has now won three races and finished on the podium in seven out of 11 events so far this year – increases his lead to 38 points over Spain’s Pol Espargaro (Tuenti HP 40), who finished eighth in Sunday’s race.

03-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Website Find Reply