Last of the great road races
Anonymous
Unregistered

Last of the great road races
Sometime ago on this site there was a posting regarding a book published in 1975 called 'The last of the great road races', well i have now located my copy and the argument was who was the author? well it was a journalist by the name of Ronnie Mutch and its superb reading.
13-05-2003, 12:04 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Last of the great road races
The Bathurst road races have ended in Australia and the Targa Florio (yes I know it was for cars) has ended in Sicily. The last and greatest of road races is now the Isle of Man TT and we hope and pray it will continue. There is nothing like it on earth and I hope all you lucky people who will be there this year will cherish every minute of it.
I camped with my brother in the hills of Sicily in 1965 and we were priveliged to watch works Ferraris racing on country roads inches from our feet. The local people were so kind and welcoming and all this repeated itself in 2000 when we came to the TT. This is such a special event we just hope everyone will support it in every way.
It is indeed the last of the genuine road races and an absolute treasure we must not lose.
13-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The TT is certainly the greatest road race no doubt about that but it is most definatly not the last great road race.
Ulster Grand Prix
Tandragee
Cookstown
Skerries
Kells
Walderstown
Killane
Mid-Antrim
Faugheen (a new road race on the calander)
Dundalk
This list just gets bigger and round the world there are other location where real road racing continues.

13-05-2003, 01:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The book i am on about was called 'The last of the great road races' because it was based on the last time the TT counted as an official world championship event[1975] but i am well aware there still is some brilliant road race meetings, see you at Kells or Skerries Cargo and good luck and KEEP HER LIT.
13-05-2003, 03:58 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Come on cargo what about the Southern 100 and for that matter Jurby after all you are racing there this weekend
14-05-2003, 07:17 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry Tom I should have added a few etc etc etc in there as well
15-05-2003, 03:52 AM