COSTELLO CONCLUDES SUCCESSFUL WEEK SUPPORTING WOMEN RIDERS.
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
COSTELLO CONCLUDES SUCCESSFUL WEEK SUPPORTING WOMEN RIDERS.
[Image: mariacostelloracinghdr2013.jpg]

Maria Costello MBE concluded a successful week of running her own women only track days by attending the first ever FIM women road racing training camp in Albacete.

Costello kicked off the week with her first ever women only track day at the Teesside Autodrome in Middlesborough, moved to Northamptonshire’s

Silverstone circuit, to host their first ever women only track day group, and culminated with two days at the Alabacete circuit in Spain for the FIM women road racing training camp.

The women only events are the brainchild of Costello who discovered through her Woman on a Motorcycle Facebook group that many women bikers are intimidated by traditional style track days. The demand for this pioneering idea gathered pace in recent months, notably through Maria’s Facebook group, website and Twitter account and the events took place under Maria’s guidance and tuition:

[Image: costellotrackdays1.jpg]
Maria lines up with the women who attended her first ever women only event at Teesside Autodrome - by Mark Manning.

“The first ever women only day was a great success. The Teesside Autodrome is a great circuit to hold an event for a small number of people, plus the track layout is ideal for coaching and it’s a really friendly venue. This allowed me to give each rider generous amounts of one-to-one tuition and the opportunity to see them all improve throughout the day.” commented Maria.

Costello wasn’t alone in expressing her delight at the way the Teesside day had unfolded. Liz Veitch, a track day novice by her own admission, explained: “I had the most amazing day. Maria and her team were very friendly, encouraging and helpful. I was the most nervous woman out there and nearly pulled out a week earlier. I am so pleased I did it! I can’t stop smiling!! Thanks to all who made it a fab day!”

Similar sentiments were echoed by Sarah Blackburn, who added: “Everything was fabulous! Maria and her team are so informative…..and great fun, very patient and encouraging. I think everyone improved in their own ways. It takes guts to do something new, but there was no better place to do it.”

[Image: costellotrackdays2.jpg]
Maria hosts the first ever women only track day group at Northamptonshires's Silverstone circuit - by Bonnie Lane.

Maria’s attention was then turned to the next event, where she hosted the first ever women only group at Silverstone, her local track, on the 3rd October. With almost 30 women and a multitude of media and TV crews who had come to witness the debut event, Maria was in demand: “I was so pleased with how the day at Teesside concluded. Being able to help women gain more confidence and become more empowered on two wheels was hugely rewarding, so getting to do it all again but this time with almost 30 women was a real pleasure. Huge thanks to Silverstone for putting their faith in me and my idea and thanks again for another amazing group of women. Seeing them improve was so gratifying, even when it rained they braved the elements and gained more valuable experience on two wheels. I think they even out lasted the men in the other groups.

As the track day drew to a close, with the ladies brimming with inspiration and new found confidence, it was Costello who summed up the events: “I had a great bunch of ladies to work with on both days. It’s been so rewarding to see them all make progress and improve their own abilities. Even physically, I’ve noticed them relaxing more as the confidence increased and they’ve all come off the track with big smiles - They’ve been a pleasure to instruct! The interest in these events has been staggering and I’m hoping to plan some similar events in 2014.”

Maria’s week concluded with yet more circuit action when she was invited to support the first ever women road racing training camp at Albacete in Spain. This event was attended by 24 female racers from 10 different countries and supported by BMW Motorrad, who supplied BMW S1000RR/HP4 motorcycles, the Spanish Motorcycling Federation and the Albacete Circuit.

[Image: costellotrackdays3.jpg]
Maria joins women racers from across the globe at the first FIM women road racing training camp - by DavidClares.com

The racers, from four different continents, received tuition from top class instructors including Ismael Bonilla (Spain), Shelina Moreda (USA) and Melissa Paris (USA).

‘I was honoured to be invited, but the real honour was getting to see the high level of talented women racers take to the Albacete circuit and show their potential. Some had never ridden the circuit or a BMW S1000RR before, but it was no surprise to me that they would be impressive. Of course women can ride motorcycles as well as the men, I’ve known that for a long time. I’m just so pleased I got to see them ride and talk to them about the future of women’s racing.’ Added Maria.

The success of the event means great things for women competitors as Nita Korhonen, the Women In Motorcycling Commission Director commented:

‘Following the experience and feedback from the participants, the Commission will now aim to invest even more in women’s road racing.’

Maria is looking forward to joining the Women in Motorcycling Commission and hopes to be able to officially announce her status within the commission soon. With regards to her ‘Woman on a Motorcycle’ group she hopes to take it from strength to strength by planning more women only track days and other training events for 2014.

If you’re a woman and you ride a motorcycle and would like to be added to the women only track day mailing list, send an email with WOAM 2014 in the subject line to woam@costelloracing.com and include your name, address, Tel, motorcycle and bike experience.

To join Maria’s Facebook group, Woman On A Motorcycle (WOAM), please go to: https://www.facebook.com/groups/371221686280661/

Visit Maria’s website here: http://www.costelloracing.com

Special thanks to:

2013 Sponsors and associates: HOL-TAJ, The European Shoe Machinery Company Ltd, HEL Brake lines, Draper Tools, Rock Oil, Dymag wheels, Kawasaki UK Ltd, Arai, NGK spark plugs, Vmtek Suspension/Wilbers, Radicool, Premier Bodyworks, Jap4Performance, Skidmarx, EBC, GBRacing, Gimoto, Racing Batteries, Knox, The Image Works, iDP Moto Ltd, Cranfield University, Racebikebitz/Samco hoses, Daytona boots, B&C Express, APC (Wet Paint) Ltd, Christian Baker, Dallington Fitness Leisure & Wellbeing Club, Trilogy Gyms, DnG, Sparkes Management Support, JP-PT Personal Trainer, Bespoke Injury Management, Ashgrove Clinic, Scott Physio, Premier Therapy, Udo’s Choice, Body Helix, Costume Hire Earls Barton, SPORTTAPE, Print Monkey, Stomp, Flying Tiger Paintwork & Spider Grips.

11-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Website Find Reply