Alastair Seeley vows to fight until the end
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Alastair Seeley vows to fight until the end
[Image: seeleyleadseastonatoulton.jpg]

Tenacious Ulsterman Alastair Seeley won’t go down without a fight as the Gearlink Kawasaki rider launches one final assault to clinch the Motorpoint British Supersport crown this weekend at Brands Hatch.

The 34-year-old Carrick man has been jostling for title supremacy all season long with Scottish adversary Stuart Easton in a roller-coaster battle that will finally be decided on Sunday.

Seeley trails Easton by 19 points with two races remaining, but if this season has proved anything it’s that nothing can be taken for granted after both riders experienced a string of highs and lows.

“Brands Hatch is one of my favourite circuits and the lap times I was doing there in the middle of the season were pretty good – I think I had the fastest lap,” Seeley told the News Letter.

“I go well there in the dry, but I’ve also won at Brands in the wet and that’s where I won my first British Superbike race. I don’t really mind what the weather is like, although it seems to be turning for the worse at the minute.

“Stuart might not be overly keen on the wet weather but that doesn’t mean to say that he can’t ride in the wet. Looking at my form in the wet you’d have to say if it does rain then it might throw a spanner in the works this weekend.”

Following round seven at Oulton Park in August, Seeley appeared to be well on his way to capturing the Supersport title for the second time as he left the Cheshire circuit with a healthy 47-point advantage.

However, Seeley crashed out of race one at Cadwell Park – suffering broken ribs – while a further spill at Donington in practice aggravated his injuries and he struggled to force his way into podium contention as a result.

Easton took full advantage and a double at Assen put him 34 points ahead, but the 30-year-old dramatically slid off on the opening lap of the first race at Silverstone, with Seeley going on to take the chequered flag and a crucial 25 points.

There was more drama in race two when Seeley was hit with a 10-second penalty following a collision with Jason O’Halloran, dropping him seven places on the results sheet to tenth and turning the championship on its head once more.

“If we hadn’t had those injuries in the middle of the year it might be a different story, but these things happen in racing and we have to get on with it,” Seeley said.

“I tried to get back to fitness as quickly as possible and it was just about damage limitation. Once we got to Assen I started to knock on the door of the podiums again and I was back to 100 per-cent at Silverstone, where we were fighting for podium positions.”

Seeley is linked with a move to Mar-Train Racing in 2014, with Easton switching back to British Superbikes in Paul Bird’s Kawasaki team.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
18-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Website Find Reply