Battling Byrne Falls Just Short Of Record-Breaking Fourth Title
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Battling Byrne Falls Just Short Of Record-Breaking Fourth Title
[Image: rapid-solicitors-kawasaki-header2.jpg]

With a script Hollywood film makers would have been proud of, the 2013 MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship went right down to the very last lap of the very last race but for 2012 Champion Shane 'Shakey' Byrne there was heartbreak for both him and the Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki team as he missed out on a record-breaking fourth MCE BSB title by just seven points.

The triple MCE BSB champion came into the triple header weekend at Brands Hatch with a single point lead but with wet weather conditions prevailing, fortunes for both 36-year-old Londoner Shakey and main rival Alex Lowes fluctuated throughout the weekend.

Saturday's first race was held in damp weather conditions and with Josh Brookes winning the race, it was Lowes who came out on top for the battle for second with Shakey having to settle for third aboard the Rapid Solicitors and Minxflix-sponsored Kawasaki ZX-10R.

That gave Lowes a three-point lead going into today's two races but with steady rain falling, the opening race became a lottery with the Honda rider crashing out on the second corner. However, Shakey's hopes were also soon dashed as he crashed out at the same corner on the fifth lap. So, it all came down to a final race shoot-out and Shakey knew he needed to beat Lowes to stand any chance of retaining the crown.

With heavy rain drenching the track surface adding to the drama, Shakey's cause wasn't aided by having to start from 22nd on the grid, the legacy of the earlier crash, but in true champion's style he was up inside the top ten as early as the second lap. By the fifth lap he was on the rear wheel of Lowes and grabbed second place two laps later meaning the result that would have seen him crowned champion once more. However, Lowes fought back on the 16th of 20 laps and wasn't to be denied his maiden title leaving Shakey to settle for third in the race and second in the championship for Paul Bird's Penrith based team.

Team-mate Noriyuki Haga found the going tough in the tricky conditions and after taking 11th in Saturday's opening race, he crashed out of sixth place at Clearways on the third lap of the second race. That just left the final race of the 2013 season, which again took place on a wet track, and the Japanese rider was sadly an early retirement on the sixth lap.

[Image: Shakey_Brands.jpg]

Shane Byrne:

"It's a shame the final round was affected so much by the difficult conditions otherwise I think it could have been even more exciting but I gave it my all right up until the very end. I had no idea I was in second in the last race as I couldn't see anyone ahead but when I saw P2 on my board I knew that position would be enough. I just tried to concentrate and stay smooth but I knew Alex would have a go and when he did I had to fight back straightaway otherwise it would be over. Sure enough, he came by but we were having so many moments out there I just couldn't get him back. I made a mistake and ran wide a couple of times on the last lap but Alex put it on the line and became champion and it's been a pleasure to race with him all year long. Obviously, it's disappointing not to have retained the title but it's been one of the most enjoyable seasons of racing I've ever had. It's tough to see the title disappear but a few things have happened this year that have made me realise how much I enjoy doing what I do and I can put my hand on my heart and say I gave it my all."

[Image: Haga_Brands.jpg]

Noriyuki Haga:

"It's been a very difficult weekend and not how I wanted to repay the faith shown in me by Paul Bird and the Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki team at the final round. Conditions were really difficult and it was difficult to find grip. A crash in qualifying obviously affected me and falling again in the second race made it even harder. I've enjoyed being back in the MCE British Superbike Championship and would like to thank the whole team for the opportunity and all their hard work. I'm just sorry I couldn't have given them better results this weekend."

Stuart Bland, Team Co-ordinator:

"Twelve months ago it was us celebrating the title at Brands Hatch but this time it was Alex's turn so we congratulate him. We gave it our best shot and it wasn't to be but it might have been a different story if Shakey hadn't crashed out in race two as those points could have been vital. That's what probably cost us the chance of retaining the title and we are naturally disappointed as the whole team has put so much effort in."

MCE British Superbike Championship Race 1 - 18 laps
1 Josh Brookes (Suzuki)
2 Alex Lowes (Honda)
3 Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)
4 Josh Waters (Kawasaki)
5 PJ Jacobsen (Suzuki)
6 Tommy Bridewell (Yamaha)
11 Noriyuki Haga (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)

MCE British Superbike Championship Race 2 - 20 laps
1 Josh Brookes (Suzuki)
2 Lee Costello (Kawasaki)
3 James Ellison (Yamaha)
4 James Westmoreland (BMW)
5 Chris Walker (Kawasaki)
6 PJ Jacobsen (Suzuki)
DNF Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)
DNF Noriyuki Haga (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)

MCE British Superbike Championship Race 3 - 20 laps
1 Josh Brookes (Suzuki)
2 Alex Lowes (Honda)
3 Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)
4 Tommy Bridewell (Yamaha)
5 James Ellison (Yamaha)
6 Jon Kirkham (BMW)
DNF Noriyuki Haga (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)

Final Championship Standings (after 12 rounds)
1 Lowes 643pts
2 Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 636
3 Brookes 621
4 Ellison 589
5 Westmoreland 564
6 Kiyonari 522
14 Farmer (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 93
23 Haga (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 18

Pictures courtesy of Jon Jessop: Shane 'Shakey' Byrne (67) and Noriyuki Haga (41) in action at Brands Hatch

20-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Website Find Reply