Marquez acknowledges costly team error
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Marquez acknowledges costly team error
[Image: motogplogo.jpg]

Marc Marquez admitted he and his team misunderstood the timing of the mandatory bike change required at Phillip Island, which resulted in his costly disqualification from the race.

The Repsol Honda rider started the day knowing that he could secure the 2013 MotoGP™ title by outscoring his rival Jorge Lorenzo by eight points or more in the shortened 19-lap race at the Tissot Australian Grand Prix, but he ended the day having conceded the maximum 25 points to the World Champion.

With tyre durability issues flagged up by Bridgestone after free practice and Warm Up, regulation changes due to the special circumstances at the resurfaced Phillip Island track meant all riders would have to change machines during the race, in order to complete the second half on new tyres.

The temporary new regulations stated that no rider was permitted to make more than 10 laps on any one slick or wet rear tyre and that in normal circumstances this would mean that the rider must change machine only at the end of lap 9 or lap 10.

[Image: marquespislandpitstop.jpg]

Marquez’ teammate Pedrosa changed at the end of lap 9 and Lorenzo changed at the end of lap 10, but Marquez stayed out for an extra lap on his first bike.

After the race Marquez explained his team as a whole had believed completing lap 11 was permitted.

He stated, "The plan we had was not correct, we though that we could do that lap. We thought we could go into the pit at the end of lap 11. The problem was not with the pit board, that was fine, when I saw ‘Box’ I came in. Now we need to forget about it and just concentrate in Motegi."

Asked whether he is still confident of winning the championship in what has been a remarkable rookie season, a smiling Marquez concluded, "I said on Thursday that the championship is very long. Today this happened and maybe in Motegi it’s something else. I know we’re going in the right way, I feel so good on the bike. I could have fought for the podium or the victory today."

20-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Website Find Reply