Lowes crowned 2013 MCE BSB champion as he edges out Byrne
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Lowes crowned 2013 MCE BSB champion as he edges out Byrne
[Image: bsblogo.jpg]

Samsung Honda's Alex Lowes celebrated a maiden MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship title win for Samsung Honda at Brands Hatch this afternoon as he made history to become the youngest winner of the crown after finishing ahead of Shane 'Shakey' Byrne.

Josh Brookes was again victorious as he made it a hat trick of victories for Tyco Suzuki as he edged out an advantage on track as he led from the start, but all the drama was between Lowes and Byrne. On the opening lap Byrne carved his way through from the eighth row to be running seventh on the fourth lap with Lowes in fourth.

The atmosphere was electrifying as Lowes moved to third on the fifth lap but Byrne was closing in and was fourth by lap six. The pair then had Jon Kirkham ahead of them and Lowes made a move on the Buildbase BMW rider at Surtees and Byrne made a move at Pilgrims Drop and they were inseparable again.

A lap later and Byrne made a move on his rival Lowes at Surtees to move ahead in the title battle but a moment at Clearways cost him and Lowes tried to pass into Paddock Hill Bend but the Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki rider held the line. Byrne held the advantage until the 16th lap when Lowes made a move down the inside at Graham Hill Bend.

Byrne was pushing to make a pass but Lowes had the edge and on the final lap a slide from Byrne at Druids cost him. Despite pushing hard he was unable to get back ahead of his Samsung Honda rival and Lowes claimed second place to lift the crown.

[Image: lowespodiumbrands2013.jpg]

Lowes said:

"I'm pretty happy about it! At least now Sam can't take the mickey out of me as he would have been giving it to me all winter if I'd been second. It was an unbelievable last race and really difficult. I just didn't know how much to push. I saw on my pit-signals that Shakey was closing on me and that is the last thing you want to see. It was a case of keeping focussed and when he got by me I knew that I had to pass back if I wanted the title and I pushed really hard. I had a few moments but luckily kept it all together and beat him and to me that really is incredible."

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch, race three result:
Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki)
Alex Lowes (Samsung Honda) +1.185s
Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +2.587s
Tommy Bridewell (Halsall Racing Kawasaki) +4.869s
James Ellison (Milwaukee Yamaha) +13.521s
Jon Kirkham (Buildbase BMW) +16.282s
James Westmoreland (Buildbase BMW) +16.282s
Josh Waters (Halsall Racing Kawasaki) +17.186s
Chris Walker (Quattro Plant Bournemouth Kawasaki) +17.387s
Dan Linfoot (Lloyds British GBmoto Honda) +20.027s

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship final standings: