Hutchinson reflects on Macau Grand Prix victory
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Hutchinson reflects on Macau Grand Prix victory
[Image: milwaukeeyamahahdr.jpg]

Milwaukee Yamaha’s Ian Hutchinson produced what can only be described as one of the greatest road racing victories this past decade, following his win in Saturday’s Macau Grand Prix – after his career had been punctuated and threatened with injury this past three years.

Delighted and as expected, a tad emotional afterwards, the Bingley man said: “That has to be one of the most special wins in my career after what I’ve been through this past few years.”

From pole position, Hutchinson battled it out with Macau master Michael Rutter – who was chasing his ninth victory at the event – around the narrow and unforgiving 3.8-mile Guia Circuit.

[Image: hutchyatmacau2013.jpg]

Hutchy took the lead from Rutter on the SMT Honda as early as lap five and began pulling away from the veteran racer, utilising back-markers to extend his advantage. When the red flags were deployed just two laps from the end – for a crash involving RC Express rider and Macau debutant Dean Harrison – Hutchy was seven seconds to the good.

Rutter cruised home in second with Gary Johnson third, but the day belonged to ‘Iron Man Hutchy’ and the Milwaukee Yamaha team.

Recounting his gameplan afterwards, Hutchinson, who also took the fastest lap of the race with a circuit of 2min:25.419s, said: “I was well prepared for the various race situations that can crop up at Macau, but I didn't have a plan for the one that happened.

“I knew I had to go with Michael when he got to the front, but with the hot pace, I wasn’t sure if I’d have the tyre left to win the race, so I pinned it through the backmarkers and got a good advantage.”

Giving credit to SMR team owner Shaun Muir and his Milwaukee Yamaha crew, he concluded: “Thanks to Shaun and the team for backing me this last three years. I did tell him a few months back I was going to win here. Thanks also to my family and friends, a lot of which are here.”

19-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Website Find Reply