TT Practice
Anonymous
Unregistered

TT Practice
If you are still stuck at home, take a look at this sight during Practice.

<A HREF="http://www.iomtt.com/results/leaderboard.asp?Sess_Id=16">http://www.iomtt.com/results/leaderboard.asp?Sess_Id=16</A>
24-05-2003, 06:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: TT Practice
NOW this is a great way to follow the TT--

I'll take back all my criticisms of Transponders--

Once they get rid of the minor glitches (who is 501 ??) and educate us in the ins and outs I am sure this is the way forward..

I assume this IS transponder timings (!

ANYHOW well done---It works !!!
24-05-2003, 09:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

24-05-2003, 09:36 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have always hoped for transponder timing and have waited for the moment.

Just a few details that the timing printouts are lacking on:-

1 Speed is two decimal places incorrect.

2 Sort of best lap times is not correct go further down the page and you will find times not sorted correctly e.g. Farquhar Class F1 has a 19:58.5 lap way down the sheet. Normally practice times are listed as best qualifying times.

3. There is no key to the class codes e.g. P6, JT,LW, etc. we can guess but it would help.

4. Lougher was reported out on two machines tonight, he only appears on one machine unless one of his transponders has only come up as a TX number.

5. We have a lap of 132.3 m.p.h. credited to TX 1186495 - marvellous!!! I suspect this is someone in the area with a transponder in pocket and has come back to await rider's return at end of lap. People will have to be told NOT to carry transponders in pockets around S & F area.

6. How come we have so many transponder identifications and no names to match, someone hasn't filled in the computer rider files.
25-05-2003, 02:17 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

For people who can't be there this looks like the best thing since sliced bread, lets hope they get it sorted soon.
25-05-2003, 03:05 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

25-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The pontential for tansponders to provide accurate times and for section times is great.
Clever types will be able to even have a guess at the weather conditions around the course as intermediate times become familiar.
I still have a problem with the cost for transponders being completely bourne by the riders particulary privateers at the Manx.
Having said that I looking forward to getting my own intermediate times for different sections...........it migt tell me where I'm going wrong and where to try and concentrate on getting better lines.
I'm not totally concinced yet but getting there but now that I've bought the things I can only hope that the system remains the same for a long time to come.

25-05-2003, 12:13 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

So,can anybody tell me why there were so many problems with the timing?I must say we all expected it as the ACU can't seem to get anything right.How will the laps be credited,especially to newcomers and competitors who may have problems later in practice?
25-05-2003, 02:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you'll find that the ACU are not running the timing system, HS Sports are, and they're supposed to know about transponders, and if they're having problems, god knows what it'll be like at the Manx , where, I presume, the Manx Motorcycle Club will be running it. Bring back the good old days!!!!
25-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't worry, I'll bring my Mum's old Timex, and a handful of white pebbles to lap score with. It worked in 60s at the local scrambles, so I'm sure it'll be fine!! Especially in the Classic races!!!OOps.....better start running now.......
25-05-2003, 05:38 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ammo its called progress but as you say its worked for years so why alter things.
25-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

We had a few of the above teething problems when transponders were introduced in Scottish racing at Knockhill last season. However now i cannot imagine not having them. The information they provide you with is really usefull. Give it a chance, mark my words its the way foreward and will certainly prove its use cost n all.
cheers Stella
25-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stella,you are star in the dark sky of reactionism. Can you imagine they all wear one piece suits now and no longer bemoan the banning of pedals. Slowly but very slowly people are dragged screaming and kicking into the 21st century. Surprising that these new fangled computer things have caught on.
I would be interested to know how much a transponder costs if someone could tell me?
26-05-2003, 03:34 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

26-05-2003, 06:11 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

26-05-2003, 08:37 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

26-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you'll find that the people who are running the timing system actually HIRE these things out for events, like they do to the Classic Club, but, presumably, the ACU and the Manx Motorcycle Club couldnt be bothered to go this route to save the competitors expense, but then when have the competitors ever mattered, after all, we all have a money tree at the bottom of the garden, dont we?
26-05-2003, 07:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes agree completely with your points especialy where more than one transponder is rqd surely some form of hire would have been more appropriate ?
MST won`t let you down though, i remember 2002 BSB at Knockhill i was timing Ross on the stopwatch also and when he was lying 4th place in qualifying the watch stopped working, i was having kittens !! and the lovely man in the MST cabin next to me was giving me his place through the window with his fingers !!! so i could put out the board with his place on, luckily he was 4th and not 2nd at the time !!
chers Stella
26-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I see that on Sat night Barry Wood was credited with a time of 28mins 60.1 secs!!!!!!!!!, Surely thats 29mins 0.1 secs!!!!!!! Oh my good grief!!!! Bl--dy transponders!!!!!
26-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

You need my friends from MST over there on the case ?!$?...
cheers Stella
26-05-2003, 07:47 PM