Wilson Craig unperturbed over Cameron Donald retirement talk
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Wilson Craig unperturbed over Cameron Donald retirement talk
[Image: camdonaldprofile.jpg]

International road racing team owner Wilson Craig won’t be too disappointed should popular Aussie Cameron Donald decide to hang up his leathers next year.

Donald, who finished as the runner-up on the Craig Fireblade behind Michael Dunlop in the Superbike race at the Isle of Man TT in June, may take a year out in 2014 to spend more time with his family, or indeed retire from the sport altogether.

The 36-year-old is set to become a father for the first time with fiancee Kaz Anderson and Donald has yet to commit to any plans for next season as he contemplates his new responsibilities as a soon-to-be-dad.

One offer Donald may take up is a ride in the Malaysian Superbike Championship, which would enable him to stay closer to home and maintain a level of race fitness next year that would stand him in good stead should he wish to return to the roads in 2015.

Team boss Craig - who has a long association with Donald - said he would have no qualms should the two-time TT winner opt to remain in Australia with his family next year.

“Cameron has yet to make up his mind over whether or not he’s coming back next year and to be honest part of me wouldn’t like to see him come back, because he’s at that stage now when he could retire,” Craig told the News Letter.

“He’s been racing bikes for so long now and I would hate to see him getting hurt if he did come back.”

Craig himself has no firm plans in place for 2014, although he has been talking to a number of riders over the possibility of riding his Honda machines.

“I’m still sitting on the fence at the moment and we’ll wait and see what happens. I’ve been speaking to some riders but I haven’t completely decided what I’m doing myself,” he said.

“I can take it either way. My bikes will be ready for racing, but whether I continue or not is another story.

“I still enjoy the sport and I’ll take a long, hard look at it and decide one way or the other.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
27-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Website Find Reply