Isle of Man TT world series plan remains viable, says minister
Dougboy
Unregistered

RE: Isle of Man TT world series plan remains viable, says minister
(11-12-2014, 06:00 PM)c iom tt Wrote: All joking aside, you are correct, they have to try something. This however is the dangerous path they set themselves.
The DED have been tasked, or have tasked themselves with putting the TT on a commercial footing, first by making the event pay for itself, and then making a profit.
It is fairly easy in the early years to show year on year growth ( whilst at the same time patting themselves on the back on how well they have done), the problem is as each year passes, it becomes more and more difficult to show an increase in revenue/profit, so in order to delay the inevitable, someone will come up with a hairbrain scheme that has the potential to bring in loads of profit. All's you need to do is to get everyone talking about it in a positve light, and when it does not work out, they pull the 'well at least we tried, and you were all in favour of it'. What they dont need is a load of people pointing out from the offset that it is not going to work because of A,B,C.
There will be a point where they will reach saturation point in terms of increased growth.
What happens then will be up to the Isle Of Man Goverment.
My view is that they have done really well in the past 10 years. I've said it before but 2004 (or 2003 for obvious tragic reasons) was the low water mark in recent TT history IMHO. The TT is in really good shape now, the racing is as good as it's ever been, it is on a proper commercial footing, it is paying for itself and it is growing - those behind it deserve great credit. There is some more growth to be had and the Classic TT / Manx offers a further opportunity. TV rights and commercial sponsorship are where I believe the greatest benefits will be realised.
However, my fear is that in their clamour to exploit the TT financially, they will start to encroach on the interests of the ordinary visitor. The Regency Travel monopoly for the Homestay Scheme is not a good thing - I have seen direct evidence of profiteering by the imposition of minimum stays. If central travel management (packages including ferry, flights, accomodation) were to be extended, then it would get much tougher i.e. more costly for the average punter.
Now the TT organisers may be right to attempt to exploit the demand and maximize their take and I have no problem with businesses making a profit. However as the TT moves further away from its amateur past, and more towards a commercial profit making business, the tensions between the event and the legions of volunteers on which it relies (and on which it will continue to have to rely) may become unsustainable.
All of which, I have just realised is a bit off topic, for which I apologise.
Doug
11-12-2014, 08:56 PM

Messages In This Thread
RE: Isle of Man TT world series plan remains viable, says minister - by Dougboy - 11-12-2014, 08:56 PM