Italian TT riders
Anonymous
Unregistered

Italian TT riders
Does somebody know which was the fastest lap (practice and/or race) made by italian superbike rider Davide Tardozzi in his only TT (1986)?

Thanks,

Marco
12-06-2003, 08:47 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Italian TT riders
No, but his race average on a Cagiva Bimota to finish 37th was 94.59, so you can reckon his best lap would probably be 96/97mph.
12-06-2003, 09:14 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Italian TT riders + Tom
He only completed one lap in the Formula One race, at 30m.17.6s. In the Formula Two race his fastest lap (last lap) was 23m.26.2s.
For those interested, Tom Loughridge's TT career included 6 top-10 finishes from a career of 47 starts, winning 6 silver and six bronze replicas.
12-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah well old age creeps on, I was looking at the Formula 11 race but at least I got the guessed fastest lap right between 96 and 97 MPH.

Incidently Marco the one lap Bill refers to in the Formula 1 is 75 MPH looks like Davide never got it going right from the start or struck trouble on the way round.

12-06-2003, 11:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Many thanks to Bill and Tom (great honour for me to have spoken with a TT rider!). Perhaps it can be of some interest to specify the reason of my question. I was trying and determine the fastest ever TT lap by italian riders. I think that before this year's TT edition the italian TT lap recordman was STILL a certain Giacomo Agostini with a record lap of 20.53.2 (108.38 mp/h=174.4 km/h) made in that legendary 1967 Senior TT. If one thinks to the technological improvement of the machines and the improvement of the TT circuit during the years...
Finally in this year Giorgio Cantalupo has beaten since the practices the Agostini's italian lap record. I don't have the lap-by-lap F1 results but Cantalupo on his Ducati Monster "916" in the Senior race lapped the TT circuit in 20.31.3(110.31 mp/h=177.53 km/h) before his retirement.

It remains to me only one doubt. Which was the fastest lap made by Britten's italian rider Baldassarre Monti during the 1994 TT practices before his terrible crash at Sarah's cottage (in the wednesday session, I think)?

Sincerely,

Marco
13-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd have to check my results book, but I think Baldassare Monti's fastest lap was somewhere around 94-95mph, when he was riding the Ducati Monster.

Marco, do you know how Baldassare is these days - did he make a full recovery?

Hard to believe that was 1994, 9 years ago
13-06-2003, 04:50 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Incidentally, I was very impressed with Giorgio Cantalupo's riding at the TT this year. He looked good on his debut back in 1997, immaculately turned out and smooth. Good to see him back this year and he always looked fast and safe and was quite clearly enjoying himself. To lap above 110mph on the Monster is a very creditable achievement.
Hope he returns in 2004!
13-06-2003, 04:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, Baldassarre Monti's fastest lap was 22m.52s.8 (a TT fan wrote me). The bike he raced was not a Ducati Monster but a Britten V-1000, the same bike raced by the poor Farmer who fatally crashed at Black Dub during 1994 TT practices. Unfortunately that crash was the end of the career for Monti who didn't make a full recovery since then. He has actually psycomotor problems...

And yes, Cantalupo is a very strong rider! In 1997 he made a very good impression to all on the isle. He would have wanted to come back on the isle in 1999 but the italian motorcylcle did't give hime the licence. The bike he used this year is absolutely not the best possible on the TTcouse so his best lap time can be considered very good. And he has been the first italian rider to have gone under the 1967 Agostini lap record! I don't know if he has intention to come back next year (do you know which problem did he have in the Senior race?). Instead it's probable that the other italian rider, Umberto Rumiano, will come back next year. This year's TT has been his very first pure road race.

Sincerely,

Marco

14-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

It was great to see both of them race. M.Cantalupo is unmistakable. Also a very nice guy. You can never have too many Italian riders at the TT! (or French...no favouritism here, Mig et al!!)
14-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm gonna have to disagree with you about Baldassare's bike in 1994. The Britten riders in 1994 were Mark Farmer, Nick Jefferies and Robert Holden. Of course, Mark sadly lost his life at theBlack Dub and Holden was then pulled from the races - only Nick Jefferies rode the bike that year but he retired in both the F1 and Senior races.

There was definitely a picture in the TTNews that year with Monti riding a Monster - I think it was taken at the Bungalow
16-06-2003, 09:35 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Montis machine.
I feel sure that Monti was riding for Peter Rubbatto's Ducati team that year, so it would have been a 916 or derivative of that. Very unfortunate that he has not made a full recovery, as he was a force on the Rumi RC30s also
regards
John
19-06-2003, 05:01 PM