Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Lee Johnston is right on track to having the last laugh at Ulster Grand Prix
[Image: leejohnstonpreugp.jpg]
Good fortune: Lee Johnston (right) and Dean Harrison join Phil Patterson,
Director of Fortuna Inns, in launching a new partnership
with the Ulster Grand Prix

Fermanagh's Lee Johnston is certainly the joker in the pack when it comes to paddock banter, but the Pirtek Honda rider’s serious side comes storming through when talking about potential success and his aspirations for this week’s Metzeler Ulster Grand Prix at Dundrod.

Confident of making the podium steps, this Thursday in the Dundrod 150 and also in Saturday’s UGP action, the quirky Maguiresbridge lad said: “I’m feeling confident for Dundrod this week. Everything’s going well, the bikes are all sorted and I’m feeling fully fit so it should be good.”

Speaking of the famous Dundrod circuit he added: “Dundrod is easily my favourite road circuit and it’s great to be in good form for it.

“The track is so fast and flowing; it’s a proper riders track and I can’t wait to get going.

“I think we have a good chance of getting a win. That’s why we go racing, but it won’t be easy because there’s at least eight other boys trying just as hard.”

It will only be Johnston’s third year at the Ulster Grand Prix, but he has already tasted podium bubbly with a Supersport podium and two races at the Dundrod 150 on his debut in 2012.

His first international win came back in May at the North West 200, when he recorded an impressive double in the Supertwins class, but crashed out of the Supersport encounter after a controversial coming together with Alastair Seeley.

“It’s been a bit of an up and down season so far, but I’m not struggling physically and I think we will be competitive in all classes,” said Johnston

“Unfortunately we might have to miss the Supertwins races to concentrate on the bigger bikes, but I’d love to get a win on the Superbike or the Superstock.”

Clerk of the Course at the Metzeler Ulster Grand Prix, Noel Johnston said:

“Lee is on top form coming into this event and he’s fit and ready to race.

“I’m looking forward to seeing him at the front and battling for

his first win at Dundrod. I’m sure he won’t be far away.”

The team behind the rebuilding of Ulster Grand Prix House in memory of David Wood is urging bike fans to show their support by ‘buying a block’ for the building.

Promoters of the Metzeler Ulster Grand Prix, the Dundrod and District Motorcycle Club (DDMC) has been working closely with The David Wood Foundation, Lisburn City Council and the Ulster Grand Prix Supporters’ Club to raise the funds required to reconstruct the historic building at Dundrod.

Their quest to raise £25,000 for the new building in memory of David is well under way, but they still have some way to go to reach their final target.

The David Wood Ulster Grand Prix House will become home to the race office and will be used to host club meetings and community events throughout the year.

Des Stewart, Chairman of the Ulster Grand Prix Supporters Club said:

“Fans have been very supportive of the fundraising campaign so far, but we really need a final push to ensure that we can go ahead and start work on the building immediately after clear up of bike week this year.”

Blocks cost £5 and will be on sale throughout bike week from the Ulster Grand Prix Supporters Club awning, which will be situated in the trade paddock at Dundrod from 11th to 16th August.

Blocks can also be bought online at http://www.ulstergrandprix.net.

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
12-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Website Find Reply