Bit confused!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bit confused!
can someone please Clarify a point raised earlier?
the thread was about certain riders etc etc Racing while injured!
At first on reading the threads some were saying they should not ride if they had injuries to any extent!
Then at the end of the threads, riders are being praised for there efforts of riding while injured?????
So are we to think they are in the wrong?
or are they being True professionals getting on with their job?
Is it me or is there a bit of contradiction going on?
I am not naming anyone particular and this is not aimed at anyone,
Thanks John
16-06-2003, 12:59 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Bit confused!
Well John, from my point of view it is a continuum.
People admire the toughness of riders who can put up with the pain of injuries in their enthusiasm to compete. However there must also be a line drawn where the extent of their injuries must be accessed by another party to protect the riders, not only from themselves, but also to protect their fellow competitors, the spectators and the sport in general.
There is a problem in trying to reduce such questions down to black and white, there are often many shades of opinion and opposing emotions involved.
It is finding the best solution that is the fairest and most workable while leaving the emotions to one side.
I tend toward the riders end of the continuum, however I also acknowledge that if the injuries are beyond a certain point then common sense should prevail in the form of a professional medical opinion. I am critical of the Isle of Man TT organisation on this point.
What do you think?
16-06-2003, 07:40 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe it depends on the type of injury.If it is likely to make controlling a bike difficult,as in having a badly injured arm etc then it would be wise not to ride.The case of,say Jim Moodie,with a neck injury,them it would be down to how comfortable he felt,but hardly affected his ability to control the bike.Difficult problem,I know.
16-06-2003, 08:10 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cheers Don & Hilary, I suppose there is much scope for discussion here. I was reading these threads last week and was neutral on the points raised but one thing that made me think was an article in MCN!
One rider said, They could have went quicker had it not been for the fact that they were feeling dizzy from the end of lap 1?
As everyone knows that would surely not be right to carry on and endanger not only themselves but other competitors at the same time!!!!
I for sure dont think this would have been said and partly think the media are responsible for trying to over emphasise how well a rider has done and try to point out the injuries too!
But think of the repercussions that could have if the ACU had read these quotes??
but once again i see where you are coming from,
and can appreciate the points raised. Thanks John
16-06-2003, 11:30 AM