Bray Hill: really flat out for a F1?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bray Hill: really flat out for a F1?
I have spectated at the F1 race from the right side of the descent of Bray Hill. Terrifying experience...I know that they say that the best riders (not more than 5-10) on the 1000cc. F1 machines do the whole section - i.e. from the exit of Governor's bridge to the braking for Quarter Bridge - absolutely flat out. Now, the speed on the finish line is about 170 mph...I didn't hear any easing of the throttle during the passages of the likes of Archibald (and I know that the poor Jefferies last year was absoutely shocking to look at) but I'm wondering whether it's technically possible to go absolutely flat-out through the bottom of Bray Hill at a speed that should be in excess of 170 mph... It's true that now the section is very smooth (other than two patches in the tarmac just after the top of Bray Hill) and not bumping as it was until the 80s. What do you think about that? Do they REALLY go flat out though there? And which is the REAL speed of an F1 machine at the botttom of bray Hill?

Sincerely,

Marco
16-06-2003, 01:28 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Bray Hill: really flat out for a F1?
The top riders in the F1 and Senior are doing around 170mph through the Grandstand in 5th gear, only changing up into 6th as they approach St Ninians. I doubt if they back off much before they have to brake for Quarter Bridge.
16-06-2003, 01:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Judging by the sound of the engines and hearing the revs bounce of the limiter (i think they are in top by the time they reach St Ninnians ), there is no doubt that the top riders are flat out on this section.
16-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lets hear it from the horses mouth !!

Come on guys we really want the truth !!

Malcolm perhaps you can ask Jim Moodie ?
16-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not convinced.

Long time ago, several "good" riders told me that they kept the throttle flat open and went through the bottom with the foot on the back brake.

Quote "you don't want people to hear you ease off, do you?"

Me, I always came back one (on a TZ350) - my view was that I didn't give a good goddam who heard me do it. If they thought they could do better, then they could put their a**e on the seat and then tell me how to do it!!!!!
16-06-2003, 06:35 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice one Larry! how are you doing anyhow?
I have learned a few more jokes since the Island!
On the bray hill matter i watched this year at the bottom and i could not care less if they were flat out or not! It still scared the hell out of me, And i was just watching You could hear a lot were on the stop! Which Gear though?
Then followed by the sound of everything from footrests to farings and exhausts scraping!
John

16-06-2003, 06:43 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suppose its the same as lots of places, its as fast as YOU want to take it, and, like a lot of other places , its a lot smoother than it used to be. I remember watching a video some while ago and the rider claimed he was taking such and such section flat out, yet the revcounter needle was nowhere near max rpm.
16-06-2003, 07:38 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm with Larry on this one I like to think I can do Bray Hill flat but in my heart I know I don't.
Sometimes there too many experts on the wrong side of the rope who are telling me how I should/ ought/would be better doing, when it comes to racing.
And answer is always the same if your so good get out there yourself.
Not long now untill I get the chance to try Bray Hill again for a couple of weeks. This year I'll get it flat out for sure.

17-06-2003, 03:52 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have seen pictures of riders in the past standing on the foot pegs with the suspension almost bottomed out at the bottom of Bray Hill so it would be pretty difficult to brake at the same time. It looks like they are just hanging on for dear life. Even the tyres are flattened by the g forces.
17-06-2003, 12:23 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

You never braked Don - just rolled it or, in my case, came back one!!!!

There's much more control of the bike if you're well into the power band . . . . . .
17-06-2003, 01:07 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, I have made a comparison between some Bray Hill shots from the past and those I took from myself this year. In the past (certainly until the 70s-80s) the bikes aviated on the bumpings through the descent of Bray Hill: this year I have seen Archibald going through the same point without any aviating of the wheels and with the head under the screen. The shot I took from the right side shows his right hand well rotated on the throttle!!

But what does it really happen at the bottom? As Don Simons says the shots from the past show the suspension of the bikes really bottomed and the tyres flattened by the inerzial force due to the compression. The shots I took from the Junior race show that these physical phenomena are actually reduced but...the sounds of the scraping are really terryfing. Also the racing line followen by the bikes seems to be different: in the past the bikes seemed to go early from the left to the right. Another thing that impressed me has been the inclination of the bikes at the right kink on the bottom: in our days it's a real cornering and this is obviously due to the greater speed.

My final opinion is that it's highly unprobable that a F1 1000cc. machine may go absolutely flat out through the bottom of Bray Hill. If we recognize that the speed on the finish line is about 170 mph and that the maximum speed of this machines is more than 190 mph and that there are many descent hundred of yards past the finish line for accelerating the bike, which should the speed at the bottom of Bray Hil be??? But the best riders say they are able to do so....The mystere goes on...

Instead I think that the thing is really possible for the 600cc and most at all for the 250cc. machines. Having seen and heard him at the bottom, I'm sure that Chris Palmer on his 250cc. in the Junior race was absolutely flat out!!!

Sincerely,

Marco
17-06-2003, 03:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did it flat out on the 125 last year,easy peasy, but that "only" does 120 flat out, always used to roll it slightly on the Rotax years ago.
17-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

i think all we need to know is that its blxxdy fast and who gives a jot if they do roll it or drop it down one or even two, as long as they get over the otherside and not in to that fence ,that still has paul orrits foot prints on
18-06-2003, 11:00 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

With you Kev!!!

ps you still want that head??
19-06-2003, 12:00 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will email you tonight ok?
19-06-2003, 08:22 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kev could do with a head. The one he's got is a bit muxed ip!
19-06-2003, 10:15 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

VERY unkind Helen!!
19-06-2003, 04:27 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

no its not lol nothing wrong withhh me ed
19-06-2003, 09:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

In MCN Sport magazine, Michael Rutter says his favourite part of any race track is "Bray Hill - flat out."
20-06-2003, 03:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll will do it flat out next year if anyone will lend me a bike. Sponsor me please I'm really good looking, ehhh.
21-06-2003, 10:32 PM