Ryuichi Kiyonari guaranteed Showdown spot despite disappointing weekend
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Ryuichi Kiyonari guaranteed Showdown spot despite disappointing weekend
[Image: buildbasehdr.jpg]

Buildbase BMW Motorrad rider Ryuichi Kiyonari has a guaranteed spot in the 2014 MCE British Superbikes Showdown, despite suffering a hugely disappointing double-DNF after a technical issue and wet-weather crash ended his hopes of another win at Cadwell Park.

A hugely promising start to the weekend saw Kiyo top the first and third practice sessions, qualify second and set pole position for race two.

However, his hopes of a victory were dashed in race one when a technical issue forced him to slow and drop out of a growing lead. Upon inspection it turned out that a faulty ignition unit and spark plug had ended his race. Tommy Bridewell went on to win his first ever BSB race.
In race two, the three-time champion had qualified in Pole Position thanks to a rapid lap in the first race and he made a good start in the cold and wet conditions. Mid-way through the race, though, a highside coming out of the hairpin threw the Japanese rider off his BMW S 1000 RR. However despite not finishing either race, today’s results guaranteed Kiyo his place in the Showdown. Shane Byrne, Josh Brookes and now Tommy Bridewell have also secured their spots in the thrilling three-round shootout that ends the season.

James Westmoreland made his return to racing after a three-round gap caused by a hand injury. Coming back at Cadwell Park, Westmoreland finished 11th race one, but unfortunately crashed unharmed in race two.

Lee Jackson had a promising weekend, qualifying third and taking a third-place finish in the shortened and red-flagged Pirelli National Superstock 1000 race, and it looked likely he would have closed on, perhaps even stolen, second place had a crash not ended the race at just over two-thirds distance.

Stuart Hicken, Team Owner, said:

“That was a frustrating weekend all round. Kiyo was fast every time he got on that bike and he just had rotten luck. The amount of miles we’ve done, you’d have hoped that if something like an ignition unit was going to go, it would have been in practice. Sadly not and it forced him to drop out of a race he was leading and was, likely, going to win. In the second race, he was steaming ahead and was on for a podium at the very least, but the track was so wet and slippery, and it wasn’t to be.
“The only good news to come from his weekend is that he’s guaranteed his place in the Showdown. We now need to concentrate on more podium credits to take the fight to Shakey and Brookes. James came back after his injury and was as fast and determined as ever, which is all you can ask for. Lee Jackson is making a habit of finishing on the podium in Superstock and is improving as a rider with every round. Our attention now falls to Donington Park which is our home race.”

[Image: kiyoatcadwell.jpg]

Ryuichi Kiyonari said:

“It was so wet and slippery out on track, I hit a puddle at the hairpin and next thing I am flying over the front of the bike, and I catch my foot which hurt – thankfully I was okay and walked away. I was frustrated to have to stop in the first race too. But I am in the Showdown for sure and I will be fine to ride at Donington Park.”

Round Nine of the MCE British Superbike Championship will take place at Donington Park on 05-07 September 2014.

27-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Website Find Reply