Hopkins Stuns Title Fighters Byrne and Kiyonari With Last Minute Lap
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Hopkins Stuns Title Fighters Byrne and Kiyonari With Last Minute Lap
[Image: tycotashdr1.jpg]

American John Hopkins out-gunned the leading trio in the chase for this year’s MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship with a scorching final lap in free practice ahead of Sunday’s ninth round at Donington Park.

The Tyco Suzuki rider, a double winner at the Leicestershire circuit in 2011, was full of determination as he showed the qualities that made him a former MotoGP podium finisher with a scorching lap of 1m 29.717s.

Hopkins said:

“It’s been a long time coming! I’m just excited we’ve gone well today. The conditions have been good and the bike feels really good. It’s never easy but I felt comfortable today. I was actually surprised at how quick the lap time was coming as I wasn’t stressed and going test tickles out for one lap – so far it is so good.”

Shane “Shakey” Byrne had set the pace initially in the second session, snatching the position from Buildbase BMW’s Ryuichi Kiyonari as the pair continue their ‘War for Four’ MCE BSB titles. The pair have already qualified for the Showdown and they remained ahead of Josh Brookes on the Milwaukee Yamaha in fourth place.

Quattro Plant Kawasaki rider’s Dan Linfoot was fifth fastest as he bids to secure his position in the Showdown following the two crucial races on Sunday. His nearest rival Chris Walker, who currently lies sixth in the overall standings, was 13th fastest for the Lloyds British GBmoto Kawasaki team.

Scot Stuart Easton still hopes he can close the 34 points deficit he has on Walker to make the cut for the Showdown. The second Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki rider was seventh fastest today.

Cumbrian James Ellison was back on track after missing out on the races at Cadwell Park as he returns from injury, setting the 16th fastest time on his Lloyds British GBmoto Kawasaki.

Free practice one:

1: Ryuichi Kiyonari (Buildbase BMW) 1m:30.035s
2: Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +0.227s
3: John Hopkins (Tyco Suzuki) +0.557s
4: Tommy Bridewell (Milwaukee Yamaha) +0.696s
5: Dan Linfoot (Quattro Plant Kawasaki) +0.727s
6: Chris Walker (Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki) +0.761s

Free practice two:

1: John Hopkins (Tyco Suzuki) 1m:29.717s
2: Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +0.058s
3: Ryuichi Kiyonari (Buildbase BMW) +0.149s
4: Josh Brookes (Milwaukee Yamaha) +0.312s