Baz Takes Jerez Superpole Win With New Best Lap Time
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Baz Takes Jerez Superpole Win With New Best Lap Time
[Image: kawasakiwsbhdr.jpg]

Loris Baz took a confident second career pole position for the Kawasaki Racing Team with a new best lap of 1'40.298 in Superpole 2 at Jerez. Tom Sykes (KRT) placed third on the grid with a 1’40.561 and in doing so joins Baz on the front row for both of Sunday's 20-lap Superbike races. David Salom (KRT SBK Evo) was 13th Superpole qualifying and now starts from the fifth row of the grid tomorrow.

Baz made an almost perfect lap in his desire to start from the front row of the grid, only losing a fraction in the early stages of his fastest lap as he found the true limits of grip on his rear qualifying tyre.

Sykes looked like he may have just edged out Baz’s best time near the end of the second Superpole session but Baz held on to record his second career pole position and his first in fully dry and hot track conditions.

Tom was also under the previous lap record as he prepares to go out and defend his championship lead on Sunday at the same venue he became world champion at in 2013. With eight race wins under his belt in 2014 already Sykes would like to add to his collection at a circuit that only reappeared on the SBK calendar for the first time in over 20-years last season.

David Salom (KRT SBK Evo) will start from 13th spot on the grid after Superpole One, just missing out on progressing to Superpole Two by one place. He is still recovering from a recent hand and wrist operation but still pushed to the maximum he could in qualifying and is determined to defend his Evo championship lead at his home round.

Sunshine and warm conditions have blessed the Jerez circuit all weekend so far and the prospects for a similar raceday are good, with high track temperatures expected once more.

Loris Baz:

“We changed something on the bike set-up for Superpole and it worked out well. I could have pushed a little bit more in the first split because I did not know how the full grip of the tyre would be. I think I did the second part of the track really fast so it was a really good lap. My second pole this year but it is the first in fully dry conditions and I am really happy about that. This morning I was struggling a little with finding the best grip but it was the same for everyone. When the conditions are hot here it can be a little strange. Allowing for this I think we have been strong from the beginning of the weekend, especially on fresh tyres. I am happy and confident for the races now.”

Tom Sykes:

“I am happy enough because for me the target was the front row, to make sure we would get a good start tomorrow. We have tried a lot of things this weekend and now we have left ourselves in a good position for raceday. We know Jerez is a circuit where we have to work a lot compared to some other circuits but the times are very close. When you look at practice times many riders put in a soft tyre near the end of a session, so you can drop down the order because of that. In reality I think there are two or three riders who will be very strong on raceday. We will see how the two long races go and I am happy to be sitting where I am on the front row.”

David Salom:

“My hand is sore and it was quite difficult to ride the bike so soon after an operation. I will try tomorrow but it is not possible to push as hard as I normally could. The team worked very well here, like they do at every race. I wanted to finish first Evo rider in Superpole, but I could not today. I am not sure if it is possible to finish the two races in the best physical condition but in a race you can find something extra and push hard.”

06-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Website Find Reply