TT afterthought
Anonymous
Unregistered

TT afterthought
19-06-2003, 10:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: TT afterthought
Harvey, a "ban the TT" movement is not required.

The ACU (with the help of the Douglas Corporation Health and Safety woman) are leading it towards suicide.

Never mind, just as long as the blazer brigade retain their dinners, and stuff the riders and their award presentations . . . . . . .

It won't make the centenary year, though.
20-06-2003, 12:21 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Devlin take the hindmost.
I usually agree with you LD, but why would the Island throw away such a lucrative source of income?
It would be a case of shooting ones self in the foot. Also if the Blazer Brigade enjoy themselves so much, why would they want the party to end.
I just can't understand it; the fans want it, the riders want it, the tourism people want it, the traders want it and I think a few manufacturers want it, even colonials want it.
So who is the fifth column?

20-06-2003, 12:41 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hope your right Don. But the question is do the Financial Institutions want the T.T. disrupting their offshore business and I think they are becoming the real power and main source of income to the Manx Governmenment, economy and provider of employment.

The hotels are dissapearing to make way for offices and accomodation and million pound apartments for the the money brokers and banks.
20-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The TT has survived since 1907 through numerous serious setbacks , there have been people wanting it banned since it started , remember reading about farmers in the early days spreading manure on the course by way of protest , people have called for the banning of the event every year but it gets stronger year by year....the TT will never finish by way of protest only if the riders and fans begin to lose interest will it stop and i for one cant see either happening.
20-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I`m sure that the TT will last for a few years yet but at what level ??? From what i hear there is sooo much that needs to be revised from organisation, living accomodation,(ie paddock facilities)and to many more points to put in a short posting.
20-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have heard the one about the business people not being too keen on the TT, but why? Is it because they can't drive home on time for a few nights of the year? All their banking business would be done via the internet so it shouldn't bother them?
20-06-2003, 12:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

You've got my point Stella - the rest haven't!!!

There IS no "Ban the TT" movement.

It is quite simply sinking under the weight of its own organisers' incompetence, self-importance and perceived contempt for the one vital element -- the riders!!

20-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bang on! Look at that lot that run the Southern 100, everyone a dedicated enthusiastic volunteers who bend over backwards for the riders.

Never raced at a better meeting, and look at the top riders that have always supported it over the years for as long as I can remember without big money payouts must say it all about the Southern.

The MMC do a fantastic job as well with the Manx, but then so many meetings that are run by clubs and not the ACU are so much better, the Southampton & District comes to mind with the Thruxton 500 mile race.

20-06-2003, 01:33 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The TT is being drowned by its organising body , they would be better getting involved in cricket or something , young enthusiastic people are required to bring the TT into the modern age , done correctly the tradition of the event would not be jeopardised but the riders trade people etc would be looked after correctly .Trying to get into the paddock for insatance was a night mare for people who did not have passes , I was OK but part of the TTs attraction has always been its access to the fans where riders & spectators mingle happily , sure on race days tighten the security up but practice , part of it has always been seeing the bikes atc close up , I can remember as a young boy the German sidecar crews with there works BMWs working away in there tents & they would gladly let you in to watch them , I can remember being in Shauzus tent watching him & his mechanics working away , wwhile at the same time giving us kids as much time as we wanted . This was all part of the TT attraction & should be kept alive , where the sidecar paddock was this year was disgusting & should be dealt with for next year . I think they felt more alienated than usual where they where.
I dont know what the knock on effect from DJs tragic accident will be , as I am sure no one does , the TT is a sadder place without him but I am sure he would want the event to flourish & continue .
Perhaps the Manx Motorcycle Club & the Southern 100 could ammalgamate as an organising body & do away with as Craig Hallam put it the Anti Cycle Union .
Change is needed .
20-06-2003, 11:38 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: TT afterthought *NM*

21-06-2003, 12:09 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

21-06-2003, 12:29 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Eric, long time no hear from you. Good to see that your repertoire is constant !

The TT is without a doubt the best motorcycling event in the world and should be portrayed as such by the supporting bodies who promote it, and by my way of thinking it is not promoted well enough. Why is it that people around the world think that it is an event much like the Targa Floria ? Dead years ago.

I have been over in Japan for the last few months, and people over there just do not know what the TT is about. I have taken videos and shown them in public bars and the reception has been fantastic. They just cannot believe that people race on public roads and every single person that I have spoken to (after showing the video) has stated that every man who races the TT is unbeleivabley heroic.

I have at least 3 guys in Japan who after viewing the tapes of 2002, have told me that they are now saving to make sure that they will be at TT2004 whatever it takes. (DOT&L take note for the next Tokyo Bike show).

Strange isn't it, that the major manufacturers from Japan, who have had winning bikes year after year for at least the last 30 years or more, do not seem to promote the TT in their own country !!

We, the supporters of the TT, are people who want to see change, and to see the TT prosper and be recognised for what it is, the best.

Surely change that will benefit the event and take it to where it belongs is no bad thing. However the people who are running the event at the moment, have to understand that change means just that. Out with the old, in with the new and bring new ideas to make sure that people out there in the big wild world know what is going on in The Isle of Man in May/June.

I have heard so many comments this year from supporters and participants, which are extremely derogatory concerning the "fat cats" and I have to agree. What is needed now is someone who cares about this event as a biker/racer to take on the mantle of the one who will take the TT to new recognition. (Please come in Carmello Esapalita of MotoGP and do something).

I cannot see this being achieved however, with the present "bodies" being involved and therefore people like you Eric, need to make your voice known for change to be made. Email David Cretney and tell him what you think, perhaps it may make a difference, who knows ?

It appears that the ACU are living off the back of the TT. How much do they actually receive from the DOT&L for being the sanctioning body, apart from the free hotels, meals, hire cars, ferry fares, air fares etc etc and the slap up meals near enough every night,that funnily enough seem to take precedence over award ceremonys for those that actually make the event happen - the riders !

Only you out there, the supporters of the TT can make things happen. Don't sit on your backsides saying "yes something should be done about this", DO IT and make it happen. Without you, the TT will fall flat on it's bottom and the 2007 Centeneray year will be no more than a parade lap of things that used to be. Pretty much like the Moto Giro d'Italia.
21-06-2003, 01:13 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Malcolm,

I am sorry to disagree with you about the MotoGP director taking over the TT. Who allowed a race to continue with a rider SERIOUSLY injured lying on the track? The race director should have done the decent thing and resigned. The Japanese first aid crews treated the casualty worse than we would treat a dead dog on the road.

I have just had current BSB officials' regulations read out to me - 'because the event is being televised the use of the red flag will be kept to a minimum', is television more important than human life?!!!!!

I presume this race director would NOT have displayed the red flag on TT Thursday practice.

NO THANKS,

Let's remain human.

Big D.
30-06-2003, 11:24 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think some of the competitors in the 2003 Wednesday sidecar race might contend there is little difference in attitude in the present regime at the TT.
It was luck, (and careful riders)not good governance that led to no serious incidents in a race that should not have been run, certainly to its full length, at that time.
Forcing riders to make a potentially lethal tyre choice and race to the absolute limit of those tyres safety, in a race of that length, complexity, and different road and weather conditions, was wrong.
It simply confirmed the poor attitude , arrogance and lack of respect shown in the way competitors were treated all through the event(especially sidecar teams).
01-07-2003, 06:34 AM