Brookes: “It is getting serious now”
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Brookes: “It is getting serious now”
[Image: joshbrookesonpodium.jpg]

Josh Brookes has yet to win an MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship title and the Australian is aiming to close in on leading rival Shane Byrne as the Showdown kicks off at Assen this weekend (19/20/21 September).

Brookes heads into the Showdown currently holding second position in the overall standings and the Milwaukee Yamaha rider is eager to get the weekend started as he bids to close the 26 point deficit to Byrne. Brookes splits the 'War for Four' title contenders, leading third placed Kiyonari by a single point, and is aiming for a repeat performance of his 2012 race win at the Dutch circuit.

Brookes said:

"It is getting pretty serious now isn't it? I have been in the Showdown every year we have had it so there was never any doubt in my mind that we wouldn't be in this position. I would have liked to have stayed on a few more times, for example at the first round at Brands Hatch and tried to get a podium then, as that could have bridged the gap a bit more to Shakey and similarly at a few other times during the year, but it is all looking positive.

"We were on the podium at Donington Park again so we are looking forward to going into the Showdown with some good form. We posted some good, consistent times at the Assen test and the Milwaukee Yamaha seems to work well there. I am eager now to get there and get the Showdown started as it feels like it has been a long year to get to the crunch time.

"I won't approach the Showdown any differently - as I have said before, I try as hard as I can every time I am on the track, sometimes too hard in fact and crash! I can't see any reason to prepare differently, the tracks are slightly different but ultimately my mental approach will be the same."

[Image: bsblogo.jpg]
17-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Website Find Reply