ASSEN PODIUM FINISH FOR BRIDEWELL BUT DUTCH DISSAPOINTMENT FOR BROOKES
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
ASSEN PODIUM FINISH FOR BRIDEWELL BUT DUTCH DISSAPOINTMENT FOR BROOKES
[Image: milwaukeeyamahahdr.jpg]

The Milwaukee Yamaha team had a mixed opening round of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship Showdown at Assen with Tommy Bridewell scoring a strong podium finish in race two whilst Josh Brookes suffered double disappointment by not scoring points in either race.

The opening race of the day started dramatically for Brookes when he didn’t exit the pitlane before it closed after an extended sighting lap period. The Australian started from the back of the grid but his hopes of salvaging points were dashed when he crashed on the opening lap. Bridewell meanwhile scored a ninth place in changing conditions at the Dutch circuit.

In the second race Brookes was sidelined with a clutch issue, but Bridewell continued to fly the flag for the Milwaukee Yamaha team. He started from the sixth row and carved his way through the pack to close in on title rivals Shane Byrne and Ryuichi Kiyonari, claiming third place.

Milwaukee Yamaha’s Brookes and Bridewell leave Assen holding third and fourth in the overall standings respectively ahead of Silverstone.

Brookes said:

“In race one I had to start from the back of the grid as I entered the pit lane. At the start of the race I felt good and everything was going well until turn four. I thought ‘I can go round people’ and I started to accelerate, until I ran straight in to the back of Kirkham - he just didn’t accelerate and I fell off. I always seem to make things difficult for myself every year, but it is what it is and I couldn’t have done anything different.”

[Image: tbridewellassen.jpg]

Bridewell said:

“The conditions were horrible in race one and we struggled to be honest, but I knew after qualifying we had the pace in dry. Ninth in the first one was at least some points and then starting down the grid for the second race didn’t help me but it did make it more fun that’s for sure. When I got into third and Shakey and Kiyo were there, they were riding nice and clean, whereas I could have done with them duffing each other up a bit harder.

“The one place that I knew I could definitely have a go was where Shakey was strong and every lap he was lining up Kiyo into the last chicane. All I kept thinking was ‘go, go now don’t wait until the last lap as then I can have a go’. I thought he would probably wait until the last lap and then I started losing the front and there wasn’t much more I could have done without crashing. It was important to finish third for the championship, third isn’t ideally where we want to be but it is better than a DNF or worse. We are closer to Josh now so it is all closing up and I am looking forward to Silverstone now.”

Team Owner Shaun Muir concluded:

“What can I say? It has been a complete disaster for Josh. Race one couldn’t have gone any worse – missing the pitlane exit and then a crash, it goes without saying that was a huge disappointment for all of us. In race two it was a clutch problem that forced him out of the race and that left him scoring no points at the most important part of the season.

“On the other side of the garage Tommy showed real fire and determination to fight for that podium in the second race, especially from where he started on the grid and it was arguably his best performance of the season.

“It’s a test of character and strength now to turn this around, but as a team we want and need to bounce back now at Silverstone.”

22-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Website Find Reply