Seeley has huge task ahead to retain title
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Seeley has huge task ahead to retain title
[Image: seeleywithgirlfriend.jpg]
Mixed fortunes: Alastair Seeley, with fiance Danni, after win but next race was disappointing

Mar-Train Racing’s Alastair Seeley took the opening British Supersport race win at Assen during round 10 of the British series on Dutch soil.

But a below par performance in yesterday’s feature race, taking just 10 points in sixth position, leaves the Carrick man with a massive task if he is to retain the title for his Temple-based team.

Seeley now sits 55 points behind series leader and feature race winner on Sunday Billy McConnell (Smiths Triumph), with just four races remaining at Silverstone and Brands Hatch in the coming weeks.

Seeley said afterwards:

“Saturday’s race win was a dream come true and I was happy with the tyre choice and set-up.

“After the re-start (yesterday) I got shunted off at turn one and went grass-tracking, then had to work my way back from outside the top ten.”

Fellow Carrick man Glenn Irwin took fourth place in Saturday’s race behind Seeley.

In yesterday’s feature Supersport race, Irwin was involved in a five-way battle for the podium positions throughout.

The 24-year-old was the only non-Triumph buried in the fierce battle at the sharp end aboard his Gearlink Kawasaki. But after an almost perfect race strategy, the former double Irish Supersport champion ended his weekend in the Dutch gravel.

“I really did believe I could grab a podium,” Irwin said.

“But I just ran in a little deep and tucked the front,” added Irwin who remains fourth in the standings 32 points behind Seeley despite his race two crash.

Castlerock’s Marty Nutt took a brace of podium finishes over the weekend at Assen in the Ducati Tri-Options Cup.

Nutt currently holds third place in the 2014 championship standings, but looks set to relinquish his crown at Silverstone in two weeks.

Toomebridge man Michael Laverty and his Monster Energy Yamaha Team of Aussie Broc Parkes and South African Sheridan Morias finished third in yesterday Le Mans 24-Hour race.

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]

By Paul Lindsay
22-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Website Find Reply