Kiyo: “It was like Assen again knowing Shakey was there”
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Kiyo: “It was like Assen again knowing Shakey was there”
[Image: kiyosilverstone2.jpg]

Ryuichi Kiyonari is expecting two tough MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship races on Sunday as he continues the 'War for Four' with title rival Shane 'Shakey' Byrne. The Buildbase BMW rider admitted that he had a flashback to Assen when they rode together in this afternoon's session.

Kiyonari held the edge over Byrne at the end of the opening day on track at Silverstone with five races remaining to decide the 2014 champion. The Buildbase BMW rider said he instantly knew it was his fierce title rival behind him during a sequence of laps in the second session this afternoon and he felt like the pair were already in race mode ready for Sunday's two contests.

Kiyonari said:

"I didn't know what to expect today so I am happy that we were fastest and that the lap time came, not easily but we built up quickly and found good speed at the start. Today we have had a few problems with grip, with the tyre spinning up but we were still able to set fast lap times so we need to fix that tomorrow as we want to be consistent. I was happy with the pace today and I know if we work and fix the problems, which are not too big, then we can push harder.

"Of course I knew Shakey was behind me this afternoon - it was like we were on raceday already on track together and it felt like Assen again, waiting for him to try and pass me! I tried to pull a gap on him and I pushed hard but he was still watching me. It was good because we are very equal again and I think we can have a good fight in the races, but hopefully I can stay in front of him this weekend!"

[Image: bsblogo.jpg]
04-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Website Find Reply