SECOND ROW START FOR MILWAUKEE YAMAHA’S BROOKES
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
SECOND ROW START FOR MILWAUKEE YAMAHA’S BROOKES
[Image: milwaukeeyamahahdr.jpg]

Milwaukee Yamaha team-mates Josh Brookes and Tommy Bridewell will start from fifth and tenth on the grid for tomorrow’s opening race at Silverstone following today’s Datatag Extreme Qualifying in changing conditions.

The final free practice session was held in the wet and Brookes made positive steps forward with the settings to top the timesheets ahead of qualifying.

The qualifying session started in wet conditions, but continued to dry throughout the three stages, making it a gamble for the teams and riders on tyre choice. Both riders qualified for Q3 but it ended prematurely for Bridewell when he crashed out on his opening lap, putting him tenth on the grid for tomorrow’s opening race. Brookes opted for an intermediate front tyre, ending the session fifth to start from row two.

Brookes said:

“There are a couple of good points today and also a couple that are not so good. The best thing was is that we have used a setting in the wet that worked brilliantly; I set the fastest lap in the session this morning. That feels good as I haven’t had that feeling in the wet for a while, we saw that at Cadwell Park and then at Assen. We have got something sorted now in the wet but I still feel like we are a bit off in the dry. I needed more dry time today to nail a good feeling.

“In qualifying it was quite awkward as some parts were wet and full dry in others. I ran the intermediate tyres for the first time in Q2 and then for the last one I knew it was edging towards slicks again. I went for a slick rear and I was unsure about the front, but decided as Stowe was still wet to go for an intermediate front. I thought everyone might have done the same, but as it turns out it probably would have been better to go for a slick. I think the lap time would have been better so I am left disappointed I didn’t make the right decision, but we have accepted that and now we can look forward to getting some more confidence in warm up ready for the race.”

Bridewell said:

“The conditions this morning were really wet so it was difficult to get any understanding for the bike and we ended up fourth. Then qualifying was difficult. Q2 we had half decent pace for the conditions but it was always going to be very hit and miss where you are going to end up on the grid in those conditions. Unfortunately in Q3 I lost the front at Farm. It is not ideal as we are starting from tenth but we should have strong pace for the race. We saw at Assen where I started 18th that it hopefully shouldn’t take me too long to go through the pack and get up to the front. That is the aim for tomorrow.”

05-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Website Find Reply