Tricky Q2 run for Pedrosa and Marquez
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Tricky Q2 run for Pedrosa and Marquez
[Image: pedrosamotegi1.jpg]

The Motul Grand Prix of Japan saw Repsol Honda’s Dani Pedrosa and Marc Marquez challenging for pole position, despite mistakes.

Pedrosa was provisionally on pole during the second stage of Q2, able to make his second tyre work quickly. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) responded immediately to this, setting a new lap record in the process.

The Spaniard was on a hot lap until at turn 12 he fell, ending the quick lap and his session. This not only allowed Dovizioso to claim pole, but also allowed Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) to stay second. Despite the crash Pedrosa starts Sunday’s Japanese Grand Prix from third.

Meanwhile Marquez was also fighting hard during Q2. The Championship leader had run long during his first flying lap, reducing the number of laps in his first stint. A 1’44.775s was his best time on the second run, just 0.020s behind teammate Pedrosa.

Motegi is Marquez’s first chance to seal the 2014 MotoGP™ World Championship title and he will be aiming to do so from fourth on the grid on Sunday.

Pedrosa commented,

“I’m all OK luckily. I think it was a very intense qualifying for me. I did a good lap time especially in the second run. Unfortunately on the last lap I had a little chatter and lost it with just one corner to go. Hopefully we can make a good start and take that opportunity, it looks like it’s going to be a tight race tomorrow.”

Teammate Marquez explained,

“I'm happy, even though we didn't achieve our goal of getting onto the front row, because we have improved ahead of tomorrow. The pace that we have is good. It's a pity that we didn't find a perfect lap in qualifying, but we are confident for tomorrow and ready to fight for the win. Our pace is similar to that of Rossi, Pedrosa and Lorenzo and this is important. We also shouldn't overlook Dovizioso, who also has a very good pace on race tyres.”

[Image: motogplogo.jpg]
11-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Website Find Reply