Byrne gunning for wins in bid to win the ‘War for Four’
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Byrne gunning for wins in bid to win the ‘War for Four’
[Image: shakeyleadskiyo2.jpg]

Shane 'Shakey' Byrne arrives at his home circuit of Brands Hatch this weekend (17/18/19 October) for the final races of the season with a narrow 12 point lead over Ryuichi Kiyonari in the 'War for Four' MCE British Superbike Championship titles.

Byrne said:

"The fourth title is massive to me: it is two hands on history at the end of the day. If that happens for myself or Kiyo, one of us will become the most successful rider in the championship's history - ever, period, full stop. I have won the most races and to win the most titles too would be absolutely awesome."

Triple champions Byrne and Kiyonari fought it out on-track at Silverstone two weeks ago and shared the victories in two epic clashes. Byrne has scored an impressive 11 race wins on the Grand Prix circuit and knows that he needs to add to this tally to beat Kiyonari to the record-breaking fourth crown.

Byrne said:

"We left Silverstone with exactly the same point advantage that we went there with, which was 12 points, which in reality doesn't stand for too much. In BSB you would be crazy to assume that just because myself and Kiyo have been at the front for the last two rounds, that it will happen at Brands Hatch.

"There are three races and I need to win at least one race, basically. Kiyo has to win all three if I am second to him in all three, but I have to treat Brands Hatch as a place where I need to come out and try and have three wins. That is top of my agenda.

"At the final round you always get other guys that are prepared to throw some desperation into their racing as it is the last one of the year. But I expect to be somewhere up the front anyway. It is never easy but Brands Hatch is a great place for us to have the final round. We want to have three great races and may the best man win.

"I have always said that my target is to set a bar that is going to be really, really high so if I win it this year then I want to win it the year after that and the one after that and so on. We will take the years as they come and for now we are concentrating on getting the three wins at Brands Hatch. Fingers crossed we can get the job done as a team and walk away from Brands Hatch as a very happy boy."

[Image: bsblogo.jpg]
16-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Website Find Reply