MILWAUKEE YAMAHA END SEASON ON A HIGH AT BRANDS HATCH
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
MILWAUKEE YAMAHA END SEASON ON A HIGH AT BRANDS HATCH
[Image: milwaukeeyamahahdr.jpg]

The Milwaukee Yamaha team ended their MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship season on a high with Tommy Bridewell celebrating a podium finish in the final race to climb to third place in the overall standings ahead of team-mate Josh Brookes.

In the second race of the weekend Brookes and Bridewell had a tough start but the pair were determined to fight their way through the order. Brookes had made some decisive moves to progress to fourth and was closing in on the podium places but he missed out on the final lap, whilst Bridewell held sixth place.

In the final race of the season both Bridewell and Brookes were fighting at the front of the field and the pair ended in a hard-fought third and fifth respectively as the Milwaukee Yamaha paring ended third and fourth in the final standings.

Brookes said:

“I was really pleased with my riding really I felt like that I’ve rode as good as I could, even in the second race. It probably didn’t show that well but I was riding hard, but the bike was everywhere. I feel like this weekend for some reason I’ve been underpowered, performance wise, even the slipstream with Tommy I didn’t make any ground and that was a real hindrance on my progress.

“My results suffered but I feel like I was riding well and so I’m happy with that. I’m a bit disappointed that the year’s over and not over for good reasons, but that’s why I’m coming back next year to make it right and do it another time and try and put things right for myself. In my head I know I’m a champion and capable of it, just I need to come back next year and prove it.”

Bridewell said:

“When I look back on the whole season it’s been a massively emotional year. We went to Cartagena testing and we were really strong, and I thought this is going to be a good season. Then at Brands Indy we were running round in like eighth and ninth or something so it wasn’t easy, but I just tried to keep quiet and keep focussed and do my training as I always have. But my mental preparation sort of finally started coming back around.

“I started feeling I was the stronger rider in the team; it definitely encouraged me even more and pushed me a lot harder. I just enjoyed the season, it’s been emotional, and it’s been very, very difficult at times. But coming into this last round, fighting for third in the championship was massive for me, from what I’ve gone through. I can always remember Mallory after my brother was killed and all these years down the line I’m sat here, third in the British Championship next to Shakey, who’s won four, and Kiyo who’s won three, what amazing company!

“That is credit to everyone who’s supported me and kept my head up as I have never given up. In that race it was all or nothing. I was losing the front, I was losing the rear, I was sideways, here, there and everywhere! I was just thinking ‘God, I don’t know what more I can do, but that was enough, and that was all I needed to do. It has been a fantastic season and I thoroughly enjoyed it.”

Team co-ordinator Mick Shanley concluded:

“It hasn’t been a bad result, we have had a good race with Tommy being able to secure third in the championship and Josh fourth. To have two riders in the top six is fantastic as we have been the only team to do that. They have had to ride so hard all year and it has shown with the fact that they have had to push above and beyond the limit at times. I think they have both done a really good job all year for Yamaha and Milwaukee and having already secured Josh in 2015 is positive for the team.”

20-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Website Find Reply