Glenn Irwin eager to showcase skills on world stage
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Glenn Irwin eager to showcase skills on world stage
[Image: irwinleadsseeley.jpg]

Glenn Irwin is eager to gain some World Supersport experience next year to pave the way for a potential move to the class in 2016.

Irwin has reinvented himself this season in the British Supersport Championship, claiming five victories during an exceptional campaign as he finished fourth overall in the points standings.

The 24-year-old from Carrick has grown stronger as the year progressed, winning the Sprint race at Brands Hatch on Saturday before finishing as the runner-up behind old rival Alastair Seeley in Sunday’s feature race.

Irwin has options available next year including offers in World Supersport and British Superbikes, but feels the best route is to stay in the Supersport class and attempt to clinch the title next year to smooth his passage to world championship competition.

His preference is to remain in Michael and Norma de Bidaph’s Gearlink Racing set-up for another title tilt, but Irwin is also pushing for a World Supersport wildcard ride.

Ulster star Jonathan Rea has been banging the drum for Irwin in the world championship paddock and the super confident Northern Ireland rider is feeling on top of the world after reversing his fortunes this year after being axed by Mar-Train Racing with three rounds of the British Supersport Championship remaining in 2013.

“Jonathan Rea has been a big help and has been mentioning my name to a lot of teams and contact has been made, so maybe next year I’ll say in the British championship and possibly look at doing a World Supersport round as a wildcard maybe at Donington Park,” Irwin told the News Letter.

“It would be a great chance to show those teams what I’m capable of.

“I’ve mentioned it to Gearlink and told them that I’d like to do that.

“I do have options on the table in World Supersport and BSB, but for me I think it would be better to try and win the British title and then that would help my position for 2016.”

Irwin, who is among the leading lights at this weekend’s Sunflower Trophy meeting at Bishopscourt, made an impressive road racing debut this year at the Metzeler Ulster Grand Prix in the Supertwin class.

His father Alan was an accomplished road racer and Irwin intends to build on his roads bow in 2015, when he will make his debut at the North West 200 and return to the Ulster GP at Dundrod.

“I’d also get a bit of road racing done next year as well and make my debut at the North West 200 and go back to the Ulster Grand Prix again,” Irwin said.

“It’s a bit of fun for me but they’re massive events as well and I grew up watching them, so it’s special to have the chance to race at them.

“If you approach them right you can do a good job and it’s another weekend’s racing during your season.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
21-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Website Find Reply