Baz And Sykes On The Front Row For Season Finale
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Baz And Sykes On The Front Row For Season Finale
[Image: kawasakiwsbhdr.jpg]

Both Loris Baz and Tom Sykes scored important front row starts at the Losail International Circuit in readiness for last two races of the 2014 FIM Superbike World Championship season, which take place on Sunday 2 November. A happy second day of track time under the floodlights for the overall official Kawasaki effort saw KRT SBK Evo rider David Salom go fastest of all the Evo riders and take the 12th grid spot.

For French rider Baz his last race for KRT almost delivered him a third pole position prize of the year, but even though he had a disturbed lap when running his qualifying rear tyre, he still finished second on the grid – and just one thousandth of a second from the previous best lap.

Sykes and his team found the pace they were missing on day one before Superpole started and Tom will now begin what will be championship-deciding races from the front row, in third place, with clear track ahead of him. He will be aiming for his second championship in succession in Sunday’s 17-lap races.

In the overall Tissot-Superpole Standings table Sykes has now finished on top, 14 points ahead of his closest rival, and with five individual Superpole trophies to his credit this year.

Evo rider Salom was in determined mood and on a strong machine set-up today as he finished second in Superpole 1, which put him through to Superpole two along with the fastest riders.

He acquitted himself well against all the main full Superbike competitors and finished 12th on the grid, earning a fourth row start for what will also be his championship deciding day within the Evo category.

The Superbike races at Losail will start at 19.00 and 22.00, local time in Qatar on Sunday 2 November.

Loris Baz:

“It is strange because I feel like I made maybe the worst lap of my life but I was second in Superpole! I made too many mistakes and I missed a gear on the straight so I lost maybe one or two tenths there, and at the back of the track I lost some more time. I was just hoping to still be on the first or second row, so I am really happy to be one place from the front. I could have gone faster but let us see how it is tomorrow. I like the track here and I want to end the season with the team in a good way, to say thank you for all they have done for me.”

Tom Sykes:

“I am happy to be on the front row and it is good for Kawasaki to have Loris second and myself third. The two guys in front did great laps and I am happy to be on the front row and have clear track in front of me for tomorrow. We have been working very hard with the bike to be ready for Sunday’s two races. That is where it counts. We have a points lead to work with and we will do the best we can, using our experience the best we can. We were able to react today, so we will try to fine-tune the Ninja ZX-10R even more. I am very excited, very motivated and I just hope we can have a great day at this fantastic circuit.”

David Salom:

“I am very happy to be fastest Evo rider in qualifying again but the points will be tomorrow, not today. I will fight for the championship and for sure it will be difficult in the two races. Now we have a very good bike for the race and the team has worked very hard and very well this weekend. I tried to push today in Superpole 1 and 2, I gave my all and we finished near to the full Superbikes. We are ready for the races tomorrow.”

02-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Website Find Reply