Espargaro and Smith ready to fight at the final shootout in Valencia
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Espargaro and Smith ready to fight at the final shootout in Valencia
[Image: tech3greenhdr.jpg]

Monster Yamaha Tech3 Team riders Pol Espargaro and Bradley Smith will compete this week in the all important season finale at Valencia as they aim to conclude the year as highest non-factory riders in the final standings.

The Gran Premio Generali de la Comunitat Valenciana will be held at the 4005 metre circuit which features nine left corners and five right turns complete with a straight of 876 metres. The unique layout of the circuit gives fans the opportunity to view every piece of the action from any stand within the complex. With many memorable battles having occurred at the Valencia track in recent years, this weekend promises to be an exciting end to the 2014 MotoGP season for both Monster Yamaha Tech3 riders in front of the ever passionate Spanish crowd.

Pol Espargaro will look to close his rookie year with another fiercely contested result at Valencia after heroically riding through his pain threshold to finish sixth in Malaysia despite having fractured a bone in his left foot. This weekend, the reigning Moto2 world champion will intend to clinch the top satellites honours in order to be successful in his quest for the sixth position in the championship standings. Meanwhile, Britain’s Bradley Smith will aim to continue his impressive run with a fight to land a top six result in Sunday’s 30 lap sprint in order to seal his ambition of finishing sixth in the world championship standings.

Pol Espargaro - Championship : 6th Points : 126

"We will finally return to Europe this weekend where my debut season in the premier class comes to an end. It goes without saying that I aim to finish with a strong performance to underline the progress we made during the last 12 months. Luckily I have had some time to recover and the most significant thing is that I didn’t require any surgery, after the injury I sustained in Sepang. Although I still may not be 100% fit, I am fully determined and confident of riding to a top result in order to clinch 6th in the championship. Furthermore,I also want to thank my team for the great job this year by finishing in a high scoring position. The event at Valencia is always a notable one and the fans are very enthusiastic which gives me even more motivation for this race. The Yamaha will be strong here due to the meandering nature of the track but the competition will be tough as always. After a positive season of learning a huge amount, I am ready to intend once again to finish as the leading satellite bike in my last appearance as a MotoGP rookie."

Bradley Smith - Championship : 7th Points : 119

"I’m very excited to go to Valencia this weekend for the important last race of the year. My performances over the previous two rounds have been strong and I fully intend to continue this form at the season finale. Yet, I must say that I’m a bit disappointed that we are close to the end as the racing calendar seems to pass by far too quickly, as always! Valencia is a track I enjoy riding at and I have had good success there in previous years in all classes, but particularly in 2010 where I won the 125cc race from third on the grid. I undertook an extremely productive test last season after the final GP, so we already have a strong base setting and a lap time which we must chase. Obviously the conditions do change with every visit, but I feel optimistic for the challenge. Furthermore, I am determined to close 2014 on a high note and win the fight for 6th position in the championship standings."

Hervé Poncharal - Team manager :

"This weekend will surely be another thrilling Grand Prix to close a superb year of racing in 2014. Both riders have done really well this season and have continued to battle relentlessly throughout their campaigns. Now we find ourselves in the exciting position of having both of them challenging for the 6th place in the championship. In addition, we can also clinch 3rd in the team standings. The final round is always an unforgettable one and it is the perfect circuit to close the season, with the fans always giving our sport an amazing reception. Pol is still recovering from his foot injury, but he did a great job in Sepang to finish 6th so we hope he will be able to repeat his resolute performance here and challenge behind the leading bikes, in the top six. As for Bradley, who has done brilliantly in the past couple of races, we expect him to be contesting for the accolade of the leading satellite bike with his teammate. After the event, we will be focusing on next year straight away with a test and we are already truly confident of both riders progressing to further strengths in the following season."

05-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Website Find Reply