Espargaro and Smith complete performance boosting test in Valencia
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Espargaro and Smith complete performance boosting test in Valencia
[Image: tech3greenhdr.jpg]

Monster Yamaha Tech3 Team rider Pol Espargaro concluded the first of the preseason tests for the 2015 season with a strong result of 3rd place in the combined standings at Valencia. The MotoGP riders began the action just after midday due to waiting for the track to dry from the previous day’s rain, then the Spaniard completed 53 laps in total as he continued his test programme on the new specification of Yamaha YZR-M1. He focused specifically on electronics and front end settings with a definite improvement being achieved as he clocked a best lap of 1’31.288. This time was only 0.315 back from the leading bike, but his lap from Monday, which was nearly two tenths quicker than today’s one, sees him seize 3rd overall and his testing performance at Valencia leaves him positive ahead of the winter break.

Meanwhile Bradley Smith finished the end of season test in formidable form to clinch 5th position in the combined standings after conducting an in depth and thorough testing programme today. The British rider undertook vigorous tests to various aspects of his new Yamaha YZR-M1, namely engine braking as well as traction control settings and brake callipers as he developed ideas for the forthcoming season. The 23 year old rider completed the day with a strong time of 1’31.365 and in 6th position, with his best lap less than one tenth behind his teammate. His determined effort in testing sets Smith up confidently for the next outing at Sepang in February.

Pol Espargaro - Position : 3rd Time : 1'31.118

"The test was a really productive one and I am very pleased with the end result. I was able to produce consistent and competitive lap times which leaves me in a positive fame of mind for the winter break. I decided not to ride yesterday as the injury to my foot is not completely healed yet and I opted to wait for better conditions in order to finish my testing schedule today. I worked through different aspects, including both new parts as well as setup options.

There was not any major modifications, but certainly plenty of small factors which came together to make a difference. We focused on the electronics, the front end of the bike as well as confirming some of the adjustments that we tried on Monday. The thing I am most happy about is we found a strong setting with the electronics for when the tyre drops, which we have experienced difficulties with this season. Now I think we definitely deserve a rest which I am certainly looking forward as I want to spend some time with my family and friends, before getting ready for Sepang in February."

Bradley Smith - Position : 5th Time :1'31.204

"Today was a busy day all in all, but I am pleased with what we achieved as we undertook a lot of work and tested many different aspects. We concentrated on experimenting with new parts and concepts which we received, rather than investing time in changing already proven settings. This included modifications to the new suspension as well as engine braking and traction control ideas, which gave us more general knowledge for the future and further ideas for our armoury. I am happy with how it went and we also found some intriguing data with the front forks. In addition, I sampled the new Brembo callipers which will be good for the future. Altogether it was a truly productive day despite an unfortunate and stupid fall halfway through as I was focusing a bit too much on the feeling from the bike and so I went a bit deep into turn four. It goes without saying that the crash was not the way I wanted to finish my season, yet I am happy with the top six which is where we need and expect to be. So, I am pleased to go into the winter with a strong result and I am already looking forward to the 2015 season."

13-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Website Find Reply