Eugene Laverty feeling positive as Valencia test concludes
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Eugene Laverty feeling positive as Valencia test concludes
[Image: aspargphdr.jpg]

MotoGP rookie Eugene Laverty completed his final laps of 2014 on the Drive M7 Aspar Honda at the Valencia test on Wednesday ahead of the series’ three-month winter break.

The Northern Ireland star, who rode the 2014 RCV1000R used this season by Nicky Hayden and Hiroshi Aoyama, made the most of the dry weather at the Ricardo Tormo track in Spain to record 62 laps, posting a best time of 1m 33.59s as he ended the final day of the shakedown in 20th place, 2.536s off the fastest overall lap set by world champion Marc Marquez on the full factory Repsol Honda.

Laverty used the three-day test to get a feel for the Honda after penning a two-year deal with the Spanish team as he returns to the Grand Prix paddock having previously competed in the 250cc World Championship in 2007 and 2008.

“The weather hasn’t been perfect but we can’t control that. On the first day I got some laps in the dry conditions and on the second day some time on the bike in the wet to understand the tyres,” Laverty said.

“All in all it’s been positive, the team has been very welcoming and I already feel a part of the family and I’m looking forward to the challenge in 2015.

“It’s going to be an exciting one because these past years I’ve been in Superbikes and this machine is very different; it’s much smaller and of course I expect a powerful engine so I’m looking forward to seeing where I can be compared to the other MotoGP riders.

“We don’t know [how Laverty will fare] because Superbike and MotoGP are two different entities.”

[Image: elavertyvalenciatest.jpg]

Laverty’s first impressions of the MotoGP bike were positive, although he has yet to ride the updated RC213V-RS version of the Honda, which team-mate Hayden put through its paces on Wednesday.

“Obviously you always want more but the work we have done so far has been very positive. The most important thing at this test was to start to get a feel for the bike and the tyres. Today we spent the majority of the day riding with a full tank,” Laverty said.

“It is great to have a team-mate like Nicky, because you can compare data and learn a lot. We need to do more work on the electronics to find a better setting for the engine braking to help us in corner entry.

“My feeling in corner exit has improved a lot in a short space of time and I can comfortably steer the bike with the rear, although I still need to find more confidence with the front,”
he added. “It’s an interesting bike and I think it will suit my riding style.”

Meanwhile, a very special motorcycle will be on display this weekend at the Dromara Destroyers Motorcycle Show at the Lagan Valley LeisurePlex in Lisburn.

Event organiser Brian Reid has confirmed that a 1966 Honda 500-4 RC181 ridden by the great Mike ‘The Bike’ Hailwood will take centre stage at the event, which opens on Friday from 5pm until 10pm and continues on Saturday from 10am-5pm.

A minimum admission donation of £5 is required.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White
13-11-2014, 12:12 PM
Website Find Reply