Question for Malcolm
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
Question for Malcolm
I have asked this on a open thread Malcolm as I think it is of interest to others as well as this nosey old git ,

will having all us lot suddenly drop on your lap cause you  a overload on usage and storage problem in the future ?
23-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Question for Malcolm
Yes, the increased usage will undoubtedly create some issues, however I am already making arrangements to ensure that these are met and overcome.

I would simply ask that people try and abide with what I request in the meantime, i.e. upload of pictures etc.

Malcolm.

smilie
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
23-11-2014, 08:45 PM
Website Find Reply
cpt_pants Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
Hi Malcolm,
Just out of interest, what has been the increase since the other site closed?

An increase of 183 over the week-end up until 11:00 Monday 24th.

All checked and approved personally.

Meeting1
(This post was last modified: 24-11-2014, 12:05 PM by Malcolm.)
24-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Find Reply
IanM Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
And a question from me, if I may: will the increased traffic mean inceased costs? I, for one, would be happy to throw a few shillings in the pot if necessary to help cover costs.
25-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Hi Ian,

In response to not only your posting, but all others who have contacted me with similar sentiments, Yes I will have some additional cost to manage , however it is my opinion that it is down to me to cover those and therefore, for the moment and immediate future, I will not be looking for support to assist with this.

Again May Thanks to you all.

Malcolm.

smilie
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
25-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Website Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

Threads: 6
I small charge across the board wouldn't be unfair, especially as we'd like to upload pictures, and that costs. It would also keep the trolls out. Most other forums do it.

--- / ---

The issue related to image upload and any additional cost that this could bring have now been resolved, whereby all graphics are "Linked" from a ttwebsite posting, back to their original server location and therefore any server space and bandwidth issues have been negated (I hope).

I made a posting in the  "Your Photos & Video Shots etc earlier today" - http://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/showthre...?tid=18350 related to graphics uploads/appearance etc and the only thing that I request and would really like everyone to comply with, is that sizing is checked and kept to an acceptable size for viewing within a posting.

Trolls: -

I monitor the site continuously and the manner in which registration is performed, denies access to the greater majority of SPAM bots and other SPAM/HACK items. 

Unfortunately every now and again one or two try to register manually, however they still cannot gain access to the forums until they have been manually checked out, by cross referencing names, locations and the IP address that their registration is made from. Any dubious location or IP is immediately banned or deleted.

Every now and again an innocent person gets caught in the banning and/or deletion, however if they are genuine, invariably they make contact via the email address on the site, and after verification of their identity, access is usually granted.

Things I will not tolerate under any circumstance is abuse of the site and the people who use it. Neither will I tolerate non-compliance with the T&C's of the site and if people have not read the T&C's , and then do something that is contrary to these, then they can expect to receive an email from me, pointing out their error.

(You should have read the T&C's at the point of Forum registration, so don't come crying, if you haven't )

Malcolm.

smilie
(This post was last modified: 25-11-2014, 04:40 PM by Malcolm.)
25-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Find Reply
y2blade Offline

Threads: 13
I don't upload pics to this site..I use Photobucket...is that going to cause issues?
25-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

Thanks Malcolm, but it shouldn't be your problem that we have all gate crashed your party............ not really fair for you to have to pay the bill. Most forums make a small charge to cover their costs, just my thoughts anyway.

Of course I read the T&Cs, as if I would miss them out..... tut.....Innocent1
25-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
I would be happy to pay a registration fee together with full account details. I did suggest this ' elsewhere' to try to keep out the wind up mechants, but was told it was not going to happen.
Malcom does seem to have a bit more control than was apparent ' elsewhere' so hopefully we wont have any would be 'Forum Saviour' on this site.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
25-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Find Reply
Amsterdam Offline

Threads: 1
A fee? sure... once I'm off the dole though.
Malcolm are you in a day time job? IT perhaps? is this a hobby thing?
25-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Find Reply
y2blade Offline

Threads: 13
I'd gladly pay a fee to use the forum
25-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

(25-11-2014, 05:33 PM)Amsterdam Wrote: A fee? sure... once I'm off the dole though.

I used to be a Third Piccolo player in a Shanghai brothel, but contracted asthma and had to give it up unfortunately. Since then I have had to travel the world and get paid for it, but I really miss the old job !!!!!
25-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Website Find Reply
Amsterdam Offline

(25-11-2014, 05:53 PM)Malcolm Wrote:
(25-11-2014, 05:33 PM)Amsterdam Wrote: A fee? sure... once I'm off the dole though.

I used to be a Third Piccolo player in a Shanghai brothel, but contracted asthma and had to give it up unfortunately. Since then I have had to travel the world and get paid for it, but I really miss the old job !!!!!

Well, I know you speak Dutch, so " ja... ja...." is as good a reply!
25-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Find Reply
sinisterdexter Offline

Threads: 2
Actually, while talking about T&Cs, I do have a question.
I did have my twitter name in my signature, mainly because I have a philosophy that I wouldn't put anything anywhere online if I wasn't happy for the whole world to see it and know I said it and also because then no-one could ever accuse me of "hiding" behind a username/keyboard etc as it's not rocket science to work out who I am however, I wasn't entirely sure how that sat with the T&Cs of the forum (didn't seem to bother them on the old one but then again, neither did all kinds of unpleasant shennanigans) so I've removed my twitter tag for the moment, unless I hear it's ok to have it there, it will stay removed.
How's life??? Better than the alternative.

25-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Find Reply
studiosoft Offline

Malcolm, perhaps you would consider a Paypal donate button so we could drop some sheckles into your coffee/tea and biscuits fund.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am going as fast as I want.
25-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Website Find Reply
cpt_pants Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
(24-11-2014, 10:32 AM)cpt_pants Wrote: Hi Malcolm,

Meeting1
Thanks for the reply, that is a good healthy increase, and from what I have seen so far, some good banter.
25-11-2014, 08:23 PM
Find Reply
tigerted Offline

(25-11-2014, 08:23 PM)cpt_pants Wrote:
(24-11-2014, 10:32 AM)cpt_pants Wrote: Hi Malcolm,

Meeting1
Thanks for the reply, that is a good healthy increase, and from what I have seen so far, some good banter.
29-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Find Reply
tigerted Offline

I best say this quietly as it may upset some of our forum colleagues. Being both a keen motorcyclist and cyclist I use this site a lot

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/index.html?
like you Neil who runs it does so mainly because he enjoys doing so but of cause he needs to live as well. Which of cause means having to pay the bills.
So it may be worth your while trying to set up something like he has.
I now subscribe an amount of money I can afford being on a pension to the site but at the same time those that cannot afford to do that for whatever reasons still have access to all areas of the forum.
29-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Find Reply
studiosoft Offline

(29-11-2014, 08:10 PM)tigerted Wrote: I best say this quietly as it may upset some of our forum colleagues. Being both a keen motorcyclist and cyclist I use this site a lot

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/index.html?
like you Neil who runs it does so mainly because he enjoys doing so but of cause he needs to live as well. Which of cause means having to pay the bills.
So it may be worth your while trying to set up something like he has.
I now subscribe an amount of money I can afford being on a pension to the site but at the same time those that cannot afford to do that for whatever reasons still have access to all areas of the forum.

Interesting link Tigerted, as I too spent my formative (pre internet) years rotating pedals as if my life depended on it. My Motor bike experience was quite short lived, compared with many of the enthusiasts on here but the camaraderie I experienced with other bikers has kept my interest in the life style and also racing and the TT.
I run a couple of forums, not bike or TT related and manage to cover costs by members donating a few coins when they feel like it. We have a few thousand members and encourage each member to send only £1 per year, most members pay more than that so we are in a position to donate some of the proceeds to worthy causes. We find it works because we do not have any political motivation in our aims. As soon as that sort of thing starts, I think it is time to pack it in for the greater good. Perhaps the original forum was wound up for similar legitimate reasons.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am going as fast as I want.
29-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Website Find Reply
Lee Offline

Threads: 11
Don't be shy Malcolm.

You deserve it.

I have read all your posts on your forum for years.

IMHO find yourself a sponsor or two.

Good luck.
Lee.
02-12-2014, 04:59 AM
Find Reply