Walpole Hotel,Walpole Street, Douglas
Rednine Offline

Threads: 5
Walpole Hotel,Walpole Street, Douglas
I know it is no longer there, but I have vivid memories of staying at the Walpole Hotel in the late seventies and early eighties. I would simply be interested to learn when the Hotel was demolished, is their still a Walpole Street and does anyone remember the owners, a Mr & Mrs John Ainge? Icon_confused

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
29-11-2014, 12:31 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Walpole Hotel,Walpole Street, Douglas
I spent many a year in the Walpole Hotel!
Mick Boddice use to stay there, and it was a lively old place but a bit of a doss hole.
I seem to think it was knocked down about 1996?
Walpole street is still there, the old hotel site is wasteground being used as a carpark now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
29-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Find Reply
desmophile Offline

Threads: 1
(29-11-2014, 12:02 PM)c iom tt Wrote: I spent many a year in the Walpole Hotel!
Mick Boddice use to stay there, and it was a lively old place but a bit of a doss hole.
I seem to think it was knocked down about 1996?
Walpole street is still there, the old hotel site is wasteground being used as a carpark now.

I stayed at The Walpole when Joan and Alan Baird had it. They very kindly sponsored this complete journeyman no hoper for 2 Manx gp's and a TT, for which I was always very grateful.

Everyone else who stayed there was a star and I still don't know why they helped me. Some mighty nights were had and I still laugh at some of the stories to this day.

They went on to take The Mannin, I wonder what they're doing now?
29-11-2014, 05:56 PM
Find Reply
Rednine Offline

I must admit, my years at the Walpole were also very happy ones and the packed lunches that were prepared by, possible Mrs Ainge were also very welcome. Thank you guys fior your replies, I am hopeful they might even be a few more.

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
29-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Find Reply
Rednine Offline

Any updates on the Ainges?

05-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Find Reply