Phillip Island International Classic Meeting
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Phillip Island International Classic Meeting
[Image: philislandclassiclogo2015.jpg]

It’s on again with the 2015 Australian Motorcycle News International Island Classic shaping up to be another great historic bike event at Australia’s world motorcycle mecca, Phillip Island.

[Image: piclassic2015-1.jpg]

Island Classic - Largest Historic Meet in Southern Hemisphere

Massively popular, the Island Classic is the largest historic motorcycle festival in the southern hemisphere. Last year, the Phillip Island pit was bursting at the seams as 340 'pilgrims' took the reins of 490 motorcycles around the grand prix circuit, in classes ranging from pre-war to period 6 (up to 1990).
The message is clear - if you love bikes put the Island Classic on your 2015 agenda.

Tahbilk International Challenge - The Heat is On! - UK vs NZ vs AUS VS USA

The Island Classic’s main event, the International Challenge, is shaping up to be a blockbuster particular after last year’s fight to finish line.  Ten rider teams are currently being assembled for Australia, the UK, America and NZ, with the four nations competing in four six lap races to determine the historic champ.

Australia has been victorious since the Challenge began in 2005, although last year the Aussies had to work up a real sweat to keep their unblemished record intact, with the Jeremy McWilliams-led UK outfit pushing the locals to the line.

[Image: piclassic2015-3.jpg]
McWilliams’ consolation was finishing equal first alongside Giles in the individual standings. 

For the International Challenge, riders campaign a Period 5 Forgotten Era machine from 350cc to 1300cc and, as an addition for 2015, Period 6 Formula 750cc and 1300cc bikes up to and including 1984 manufacture are accepted.

For a quick flashback, here’s 2014 final points…

2014 TAHBILK INTERNATIONAL CHALLENGE FINAL POINTS

1  Australia  692
2  United Kingdom  617
3  New Zealand  367
4  America  341

2014 TAHBILK INTERNATIONAL CHALLENGE INDIVIDUAL RESULTS

=1  Shawn Giles, Australia,  155 
=1  Jeremy McWilliams, UK, 155
3  Brendan Roberts, Australia,  149
4  Beau Beaton, Australia,  143
5  John McGuinness, UK,  134

Jed Metcher Joins Australian Squad

[Image: piclassic2015-4.jpg]

Australia’s quest to retain ownership of the coveted International Challenge teams’ trophy  has been given a huge boost with Jed Metcher in the Oz line-up.

The 24-year-old young gun from Melbourne, who won the 2011 European 600 Superstock title, will compete in the International Challenge on a Suzuki Katana, with teammates set former Australian superbike champions, Steve Martin and Shawn Giles.

Metcher has been somewhat of a nomad in 2014, competing across Australia, the UK and Europe in a variety of classes, but he’s recently signed a deal to compete in the 2015 and 2016 British superbike title to secure his racing future.

The 2015 British season doesn’t start until early April, which means Metcher’s free to race locally.  He’s put late January’s International Challenge on his agenda -- and he’s deadly serious about making an impact in his historic debut, having already started testing his Katana.

“I have always wanted to compete at the Island Classic, but I have never had the bike to make it happen,” said Metcher. “But this Katana is quite nice to ride and is very stable, so I’m hoping to be very competitive and have a really fun weekend.

“The Island Classic is a brilliant event: some of the stars that race I have looked up to over the years, so competing with and against them will add an extra dimension for me.”

UK News

The UK team looks more formidable than ever and will be headed again by Jeremy McWilliams, Isle of Man hero John McGuinness, as well as fellow hard chargers Conor Cummins and Ryan Farquhar.    South Australian Glenn Richards, who has only  recently retired after a successful road racing career, mainly in England, also looks to have ‘snuck’ into the UK line-up to add even more depth --  producing a few more headaches for the Australian camp.

The laconic McGuinness made his International Challenge debut in 2014, and was amazed at the ferocity of the racing.

“I underestimated how fast the racing is around here, doing 37s on bikes that are 30 years old,” he said. “I was crunching my plums just trying to keep up, but it was mega enjoyable.”

[Image: piclassic2015-5.jpg]

All line ups for the four nations are a work-in-progress, and will be finalised soon.

2015 Programme

The 2015 Island Classic begins with qualifying Friday; and racing from 9:00am to 5:00pm on both Saturday and Sunday.  The traditional Welcome Dinner moves to Friday night.       
04-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Website Find Reply