Southern 100 Tragedy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Southern 100 Tragedy
It is with great sadness that we discover that two racers have lost their lives racing at the the Southern 100.

Tragedy struck at Ballawhetsone on the third lap of the six-lap race when the Yamaha sidecar team of Andy Brown and John Dowling died.

The full story can be viewed on the Isle of Man Newspaper site, by clicking on the link below.

Our sincerest condolences go out to the families of both Andy and John.

IOM Online News Article
11-07-2003, 12:39 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Southern 100 Tragedy
My deepest sympathies to their families and friends. They were dedicated real road racers, and they will be very much missed.
11-07-2003, 07:56 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I first met Andy and John in '99 at Donnington Park...probably not long after they started on the F2 Sidecar Trail. I was a bag of nerves at my first meeting at that circuit but a few words or reassurance from John helped.

Over the last 4 Years with some investment in what looked to be newer machinery they were really becomming a force to be reconed with and in my opinion one of the Top 'Ireson Chassis' Teams in the country.

They took some stick off me and a few others close by at this years TT. When coming in from Practise or Racing covered in flies they would cover the fairing with cloths and pour hot water on them to soak the flies off. Obviously worried about getting them under their nails if they washed it by hand.

This year was the first time I had passengered an Ireson Chassis properly (as in having the confidence to lay down). I had been given a general overview of what to expect by Doug Jewell (thanks Doug) but during the fortnight I had one or two issues and it was never too much for me to go to Andy and John and ask for advice and always get the answer.

These two guys were real gentlemen in the sport and as such will be a great loss and sadly missed.

My Sincere Condolences to Andy and Johns Family and Friends.

RIP in Sidecar Heaven Lads!

11-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are no words, but our deepest condolences to Andy and Johns family and friends.
Stella
12-07-2003, 09:47 AM