Photography drones
Yamanx Offline

Threads: 12
Photography drones
Drone photography is getting really popular now, theres loads about them on the internet etc. Some of the pictures are stunning, and a decent birds eye view from places a helicopter couldn’t get to.

Authorities all over the world are looking at trying to legislate against these with privacy and safety fears. Which, is understandable really.

But if the safety fears could be realised, ie: not directly over the circuit and not too low to cause any distraction. The photos from these things could be pretty spectacular at the TT. Particular video, say, just behind a rider (So as not to be in peripheral vision), at near rider height following up the mountain (Would need to be a fast one Smile )

What say you?

"By all means think yourself big, but never think others small........."  R.F. Scott
11-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Photography drones
My mate on the Island has bought one and started posting footage.
Granada reports used his footage of the Laxey Wheel on the TV recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX-jwc-ZHTQ
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
11-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
11-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Find Reply
smokey125 Offline

Threads: 7
Can't see it happening for a long time. Improvements in gyro's and other radio control tech has made them possible but they still have to be piloted. Only any good all the time you have good line of sight and a good perspective view.
Current drones are designed for shooting static or slow moving subjects.
A lot of the shots from drones at sporting events aren't actually drones but cameras fitted to wires or long arms.
Imagine what would happen if one got out of control in the wind on the mountain!

I'll finish it one day!
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2014, 06:07 PM by smokey125. Edit Reason: Can't type! )
11-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
Was talking to a chap that had one and had been in to them from when they first came out and he had been using it professionally for some time doing pictures and footage for estate agents selling property, and was doing well and he was showing me how it worked, he was saying that it had come on in leaps and bounds over the last three years with a lot of cheaper drones coming on to the market but that they were very limited. To what you cold do with them but the one he had was a singing dancing jobby that with the camera the laptop the drone it's self you were in to 3.5k + well out of reach of a poor retired Yorkshire Lad
11-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

The Drone and Gopro in the fotage I posted are about £1500.00 all in.
Not a bad price for the quality they produce.

11-12-2014, 03:34 PM
Find Reply
Dogsbody Offline

Threads: 10
Personally I would like to see a blanket ban during practices and races. For every competent pilot there will be a thousand who are not. As a marshal I don't want to tell someone that it is dangerous because I think it is too windy when somebody else in another sector says it'll be ok if they keep it off the circuit etc . Having seen a model helicopter smash itself into a thousand pieces when it was caught by a gust of wind, picking up bits of carbon fibre, plastic and aluminium off the circuit during a race is too hazardous.
Dogsbody
11-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Find Reply
cpt_pants Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
I am with dogsbody on this. It is bad enough trying to get fans not to use their flash every year, never mind operating their UFO's with 10 cans of Stella on board.
12-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Find Reply
rutolander Offline
Three Star Member

Threads: 14
Can you get one that will lift 20 stone and fly from Liverpool to IOM if so Im in.
Put it on auto and send your bike over
12-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
I with Dogsbody on this one , all motorsport has its risks this is just another introducing another risk element. Go watch the racing if you want to see more buy the Duke cd when you come home.

I know its not quite the same but I was fortunate to be able to go to a Roger Daltrey concert and someone a few rows in front of me had one of these large I pad Thingys ( I am not a techno geek ) and watched the screen the whole time while he record the concert, why even bother going if you are going to do this .
Going to a live gig then watching it on a hand held TV priceless Icon_exclaim  Huh
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
(This post was last modified: 20-12-2014, 11:25 AM by Kursaal Flyer.)
20-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(20-12-2014, 11:24 AM)Kursaal Flyer Wrote: I with Dogsbody on this one , all motorsport has its risks this is just another introducing another risk element. Go watch the racing if you want to see more buy the Duke cd when you come home.

I know its not quite the same but I was fortunate to be able to go to a Roger Daltrey concert and someone a few rows in front of me had one of these large I pad Thingys ( I am not a techno geek ) and watched the screen the whole time while he record the concert, why even bother going if you are going to do this .
Going to a live gig then watching it on a hand held TV priceless Icon_exclaim  Huh

Agreed about looking at a screen at a live event. I use to be big time into my photography in 35mm days, but it got to the point where I came away from a race meeting thinking, 'I dont feel I have seen anything live'.

23-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Find Reply
veefour Offline

I suggest anyone thinking of using one of these Drones really should have a good read of this first http://www.bmfa.org/Multi-Rotors. And paying particular attention to this bit, Ensure that appropriate liability insurance cover is in place to protect you in the event of an incident leading to a claim against you.
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
29-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Find Reply
A10TT9 Offline

Threads: 0
(12-12-2014, 12:08 PM)rutolander Wrote: Can you get one that will lift 20 stone and fly from Liverpool to IOM if so Im in.
Put it on auto and send your bike over

Good plan!! [Image: icon_biggrin.gif]
04-01-2015, 01:05 PM
Find Reply
gnasher Offline
Just Getting Started

Restricted airspace during races means they cant be used, not to mention restrictions on using them where members of the public are and despite the blurb they do clear of on their own.
08-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Find Reply
RichW Offline
Old Skool Biker

Threads: 2
I noticed a dangerous trend at last years race, and i guess they'll be more of it this year. Selfie-Sticks. People sticking their phones on the end of them and prodding them out into the road way trying to capture "action shots" Confused
11-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Find Reply
richarde1605 Offline
Just Getting Started

Agree RichW, just look at 'tour de farce', should be called 'dead sticks' (as in they give us a better view of the dead), having said that, they can, and do capture great footage in 'controlled' environments. Have you seen the lily drone?

Richard

E&OE
06-06-2015, 03:51 AM
Find Reply
richarde1605 Offline
Just Getting Started

I'd rather hit a drone than Hutchinson, said Michael...   I made a bit up....

I nearly hit a scary thing, said Michael... The 'camera' is with us.

It would be a shame to spoil the toes on the edge on the track feeling, unrivaled personally, I feel that any move towards drones would push the spectators away from the action. As will idiots with dead sticks.....
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2015, 06:14 AM by richarde1605.)
06-06-2015, 06:11 AM
Find Reply
numptydad Offline

Threads: 6
(20-12-2014, 11:24 AM)Kursaal Flyer Wrote: I with Dogsbody on this one , all motorsport has its risks this is just another introducing another risk element. Go watch the racing if you want to see more buy the Duke cd when you come home.

Good point, this, I stopped taking a camera to race meetings, I realised I was not watching the racing, just seeing it through the camera lens, and losing the whole point of being there ! 
17-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Find Reply