Kev Coghlan on signing with MRS Racing
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Kev Coghlan on signing with MRS Racing
[Image: kevcoghlanfaceon.jpg]

Having had three highly successful seasons of racing (in World Superstock 1000 and World Supersport) with Russian backed team DMC Racing, it was perhaps inevitable that there would come a time to move on for Kev Coghlan.  With DMC's decision not to compete in motorsport in the 2015 season, it was a case of one door closes and another one opens.  After several weeks of discussion with various parties, the Scottish rider has opted to team up with French-based MRS Racing in the World Superstock1000 championship.

While preparing for the busy year ahead, Kev gives his thoughts on his new venture:

"I got a call from Adrien (Morillas) asking if I had anything fixed for next season and if I would be interesting in riding for him. He explained a bit about the project with the new R1 and that Yamaha were heavily involved. I also spoke with Markus (Eschenbacher) about the bike and his part in the project.  Generally it sounded like a great combination and hopefully will be a force to be reckoned with in the Stock1000 class.

"I would have liked to have another crack at the Supersport world championship but finally there were no options there. Without the possibility to continue with DMC Racing and nothing else still available that I thought would bring me forward in my career I could see it was time for a change. The chance to fight for the Superstock 1000 championship really motivates me, I have always enjoyed riding the bigger bikes and I think doing well there could open up some good opportunities for the future. On top of that, the chance to ride in an official team on a brand new project such as the R1-M is really exciting!"

[Image: 2015R1.jpg]

After a brief taster of the road bike version of the new Yamaha R1-M (some laps at the Alcarass circuit in Spain in late December), the team is preparing to start testing in earnest.  Testing of the new bike is due to start in February (date and location to be announced) and will initially be on an evolution of the road bike with some racing parts.

Also on the horizon is a high profile Yamaha press conference in Milan on the 10th of February. The YME Racing press conference will be the official team 's opportunity to unveil their star riders for 2015 in a range of motorcycle racing championships including Kev and French teammate Florian Marino.
09-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Website Find Reply