VIP Tickets - Worth the Money?
sweetpotato Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2
VIP Tickets - Worth the Money?
We're attending the TT this year for the entire race week. I'm thinking of forking over the cash for VIP tickets but they'll cost us almost $500 U.S. Are they worth it? Can you get access to the paddock and see the riders up close without a VIP pass? Or is the VIP pass the only way? Any feedback is appreciated.
03-02-2015, 05:42 PM
Find Reply
Nev14 Offline

Threads: 1
RE: VIP Tickets - Worth the Money?
(03-02-2015, 05:42 PM)sweetpotato Wrote: We're attending the TT this year for the entire race week.  I'm thinking of forking over the cash for VIP tickets but they'll cost us almost $500 U.S.  Are they worth it?  Can you get access to the paddock and see the riders up close without a VIP pass?  Or is the VIP pass the only way?  Any feedback is appreciated.

Access to the paddock is free and you can wander around anytime you like. I don't think many on here would consider the VIP passes as apart from food it gives you very little that you cannot enjoy at anytime. The real TT is out on the course amongst the fans not in a tent with those with more money than sense.
03-02-2015, 05:47 PM
Find Reply
V Twin Mechanic Offline

Threads: 4
(03-02-2015, 05:42 PM)sweetpotato Wrote: We're attending the TT this year for the entire race week.  I'm thinking of forking over the cash for VIP tickets but they'll cost us almost $500 U.S.  Are they worth it?  Can you get access to the paddock and see the riders up close without a VIP pass?  Or is the VIP pass the only way?  Any feedback is appreciated.

Officialy you would need a official pass to enter the Parc ferme and or the start line, these passes are issued to the teams, officials and trade representitives. however I have known people with VIP passes admited, and the security people in these areas have left them alone !. However the paddock area is very open and you can get close up to some of the bikes

What is a VIP ? does it mean that people who can afford to pay a lot of money become "Very important people " ?
03-02-2015, 05:57 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

I wouldn't waste your money on VIP tickets, they are aimed really at the corporate hospitality brigade who want to entertain and impress clients etc and don't really give you anything that you couldn't get outside of the VIP enclosure other than a glass or two of bubbly and a few prawn sandwiches.

The paddock is open to all, and most of the riders are approachable in the paddock if you choose your moment and avoid the pre race build up.
03-02-2015, 06:04 PM
Find Reply
Ken37.73 Offline

Threads: 1
Definitely not. The very best of the TT happens out on RFP course and your money will be far better spent on other ways.
03-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Get your prawn sandwiches and bubbly from Shoprite then wander around the paddock for free!
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

03-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Find Reply
sweetpotato Offline
Just Getting Started

Ah, thank you!  You have all confirmed what I was thinking!  We get it on the TV here in the U.S. and are looking forward to seeing the riders in person. We went 9 years ago for only 2 days so we didn't have time to explore. We were thrilled watching from a church yard with a sandwich and chips last time, and we watched from Braddan Bridge and Quarter Bridge.  We're going to try to go to all vantage points this time.  We are super excited to be coming back!
03-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
maybe if you still have the urge to invest extra money into the TT and would like to see some sort of return try giving a little finacial help to one of the riders making up the numbers, this will be appreciated by the rider and give you a lot more pleasure than a prawn sandwich Icon_lol
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2015, 07:15 PM by Kursaal Flyer.)
03-02-2015, 07:15 PM
Website Find Reply
serowmaster Offline

Don't bother going VIP just get yourselves over to the island and enjoy Party2

GETTING OLD IS MANDATORY FEELING OLD IS OPTIONAL smilie
03-02-2015, 07:53 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
Spend the money hiring a car to get out and see the real IOM , what the IOM lacks in size it makes up for in Heritage and the Manx people with hearts of gold , just stay away from the ones that a regular visitors of The House of Keys ,

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2015, 10:32 PM by Steady the Edward.)
03-02-2015, 10:31 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 356
(03-02-2015, 07:15 PM)Kursaal Flyer Wrote: maybe if you still have the urge to invest extra money into the TT and would like to see some sort of return try giving a little finacial help to one of the riders making up the numbers, this will be appreciated by the rider and give you a lot more pleasure than a prawn sandwich Icon_lol

That's a mighty fine idea!
you'd never be short of a brew in the paddock!smilie
03-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Website Find Reply
SPEIRMOOR Offline

We did the VIP last year as it was included in our package from Recency travel. Watching the races from the grandstand was something I had always wanted to do anyway and that was included. We picked Friday which is probably the best day. At the tent Breakfast and lunch were self served and both were top class. Two bars there and drinks were included all day. Close proximity to the riders as they leave the course,high fives etc. All winning riders were on stage after the races and hung around for photos afterwards. Between races there were past and current racers telling stories and being interviewed. The TT trophy was onsite for picture taking after the Senior. I know it sounds expensive but after traveling so far (USA also) and saving up for years to get there it was well worth it, I'll never forget it.
06-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Different strokes for different folks.
Its not my cup of tea ( pun intended) .
I was invited and went to the VIP marque and veiwing platform at the top of Bray hill a few years back. It was okay, but a bit sterile for me, which is why I turned down an invite for the Monster hospitality at the Grandstand last year, plus I am not a big fan of watching from the Grandstand either, but plenty of people do.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
07-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
I sat in the grandstand last year. Not VIP though. You aren't as close to the action as you would be by the roadside somewhere else. But you do get access to the riders in the lead up to the race (great with a 12 year old) and can then stroll to your seat and watch the build up to the start. Facilities are easily used and you watch over the pitstops.

It's not Kirk Michael or The Gooseneck, but they're not the grandstand either. Horses for courses. Not the best viewing spot but it does offer something different in experience.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
07-02-2015, 11:22 AM
Find Reply
panman Offline

Threads: 10
IMHO spending the money on VIP tickets isn't worth it. Those tickets are aimed more at corporate entertainment and are therefore 'remote' from the true action and atmosphere. You'll get a better experience from a hedge or grass bank somewhere.

I've watched from the grandstand once and it was interesting though not an experience I'd want to repeat regularly. I think its something that should be done at least once, If you like it go again, if not at least you know what it's about!

whatever you end up doing I'm sure you'll have a ball!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Route 66 Blog: www.thehandys.co.uk/blog 
13-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Website Find Reply
Rod Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
If you are in douglas , and have no car or bike, get the electric tram/train to Laxey ... then onto the mountain train, up to the bungalow... as long as you take food and lots of warm clothes , you will have a excellent day.
One day they might even get the food sorted out up there...
10-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Find Reply