Front row start for Davies
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Front row start for Davies
[Image: ducatimedialogo.jpg]

Ducati Superbike Team took part in the first Superpole sessions of the 2015 Superbike World Championship season, which took place in very hot conditions at the Phillip Island circuit this afternoon; Chaz Davies qualified on the front row, in second place, while Troy Bayliss will line up in fourteenth position.

In the third timed practice session, and thanks to the cooler conditions, both Davies and Bayliss were able to improve significantly on yesterday’s times. Davies, already eighth after yesterday’s sessions, lowered his time a further six tenths to close in sixth (1’37.327) and qualify directly for Superpole 2. Bayliss, beginning to get into his rhythm with his Panigale R and despite that fact that he missed yesterday morning’s entire session, picked up the pace by almost one second, concluding seventeenth (1’32.529) and thus qualifying for Superpole 1.

In the early afternoon, both riders made the most of the short 30-minute free practice session, making small refinements ahead of the Superpole. Bayliss unfortunately suffered a small crash in Turn 9 towards the end of the session but was unhurt in the incident. With times in line with the increased track temperature (43°C), Davies concluded in seventh position, Bayliss twelfth.

Superpole 1: Bayliss took part in the first of the two Superpole sessions. He completed an initial lap on race rubber, thanks to which he was lying sixth with a time of 1’33.268. Back on track with the qualifying solution, the only qualifier available to him in this first session, the Australian rider put in a time of 1’32.201, which allowed him to close the session in fourth place, ensuring himself of fourteenth position on the grid for tomorrow’s two 22-lap races.

Superpole 2: as is usual, Davies also completed one lap on the race tyre, recording an already fast time of 1’31.238 and moving into second. Then, with the qualifying tyre, the Welsh rider was completing his fastest lap when unfortunately a red flag halted the session, after a serious crash for Salom. Davies' impressive lap time was therefore annulled, in accordance with the regulations but the time that he had previously set, with the race tyre, was enough to award him  a place on the front row of tomorrow’s race grid, in second place.

[Image: ducatiatPIrace.jpg]

Quotes after the day’s sessions:

Chaz Davies (Aruba.it Racing - Ducati Superbike Team #7) – 2nd (1’31.238)
“This morning we continued with our work, trying a few different options to see how the tyre reacts and I’m feeling well prepared, we haven’t had any real issues there. In qualifying, I planned to get out on the ‘Q’ as quickly as possible in order to complete my lap before any red flags could occur but I didn’t quite finish the lap in time. Anyway, a front row start is obviously a great way to start the season. We’re feeling as prepared as we can be I think, also after testing earlier this week, and I’m looking forward to racing.”

Troy Bayliss (Aruba.it Racing - Ducati Superbike Team #21) – 14th (1’32.201)
“Today was certainly an improvement over yesterday. I’ve had time to get some good laps in and have felt a lot better on the bike. I did have a crash in the free practice, it was a big highside but I landed ok and was fortunately unhurt. I was a little disappointed to not have the chance to participate in the shoot-out but I’m still happy because I haven’t used the qualifying tyre for such a long time, and you need time to build confidence with those tyres. I’m confident that we’ll be able to make further improvement tomorrow. The high temperatures forecast for tomorrow will definitely be a factor but it’s the same for everyone so we’ll just have to see what we can do…:”

Weekend schedule (CET +10): 

Sunday
09.20 – 09.35 – SBK Warm-up
12.00 – SBK Race 1
14.40 – SBK Race 2

[Image: arubaracinglogo.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 21-02-2015, 08:38 PM by Malcolm.)
21-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Website Find Reply