Fully British-built TT bike for Norton by 2017
Dingocooke Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Fully British-built TT bike for Norton by 2017
(08-06-2015, 05:36 PM)Splashdown Wrote: There's obviously something I'm not getting with this Norton situation.
Their result on Sunday was basically abysmal. Cam Donald is a superb rider, (lapped 130+), and a past winner, so unless he has dramatically slowed of late he should still be in the late 120 bracket. So to finish 18th at 120 average is miserably poor.
Hizzy managed 121.88 TWENTY THREE YEARS AGO! 
This is a 1000cc Aprilia RSV4 isn't it? I mean the bike should EASILY be doing 128. What is going on?
It's nearly thirty years since I lapped at 117 on a bog standard Exup FZR1000 in the Proddie TT, (standard silencer, standard suspension), and that's pre Brandish, and Windy updates.
This bike should be fast (180+), handle (Spondon frame), fancy forks, fancy rear shock, adjustable offset. traction control, fancy brakes, quickshift, 6 gears. Just compare that to a standard FZR1000.
Or imagine chatting to Hizzy (hypothetically), 23 years after he lapped at 123. I guarantee that he would think the bike should AVERAGE 130!
Your thoughts.

Spot on, well said Nick, we all said this week that Cam has lost pace having been off a competitive ride for two years

Norton at the TT are not doing themselves any good, at the end of practice week, most teams were ready and just dialing in, meanwhile, Norton were using the angle grinder on frame and foot pegs! I kid you not.
This is a bike that has had 3 TT appearances, it should be well refined by now surely?
Look at Ryan Farquar's set up; he builds very special bikes and comes to the TT ready for action, and his is a relatively low budget effort.

I don't live too far from the factory, and the local rumour is that 961 road bikes re still problematic, but the low mileage of the typical collector buyer hide this luckily; they're just a modified Kenny Greer design.

The story (if true) of bikes being sent out knowingly with duff gearboxes, and then re collected to repair them is indicative of the nature of the business.
Most high profile ex employees, including all the previous riders, have to sign a gagging order as part of their contract; that tells you something! All allegedly of course...

The new Norton is a triumph of PR over reality in my opinion, I would love to see them do well, I just can't see that happening with the current set up.
15-06-2015, 11:01 AM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fully British-built TT bike for Norton by 2017 - by Dingocooke - 15-06-2015, 11:01 AM