Lee Johnston could be dark horse for maiden podium
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Lee Johnston could be dark horse for maiden podium
[Image: leejohnstonatnw2.jpg]

Lee Johnston’s maiden international ‘big bike’ victory in the Superstock class at the North West 200 has given the Fermanagh lad a confidence boost heading into this year’s Isle of Man TT.

Johnston halted Alastair Seeley’s winning streak to take a deserved win on his East Coast/Burdens BMW – his first 1000ccc success at international level.

The 26-year-old is one of the rising stars at the TT and although he only made his debut on the 37.73-mile Mountain Course in 2012, Johnston could be a dark horse for a rostrum result on the bigger capacity machines, particularly in the Superstock race following his stunning ride to fifth place in the corresponding event last June.

The colourful Maguiresbridge man, who will ride a Triumph 675 in the Supersport races, also teams up with Ryan Farquhar’s SGS/KMR Kawasaki team to contest the Lightweight event and is among the key contenders for victory in the class.

He won both Supertwin races at the North West 200 in 2014 but dropped the machine this year to focus on the feature classes – a strategy that paid off as Johnston climbed the top step on the BMW S1000RR.

However, Johnston has the freedom of more practice time throughout the TT fortnight and adds the 650cc Kawasaki ER6 to his stable, giving him one of the best machines available for the Lightweight event, which takes place before the blue riband Senior on Friday, June 12.

“I’m looking forward to riding Farquhar’s Supertwin at the TT because he puts out a good bike,” Johnston said.

“I dropped the Supertwin at the North West to concentrate on the bigger bikes but it’s more spread out at the TT so we’re going to give it a go.

“I’m starting at number 13 as usual but I don’t mind because it gives you a bit of a spur on to catch the guys in front of you.

“The biggest aim for me was to get to the TT fully fit because over the past two years I’ve been injured,”
Johnston added.

“Two years ago I went with a broken leg and last year I had that crash at the North West and hurt my ribs and stuff and I was actually a lot worse than anyone knew.

“So hopefully we’ll be in good shape and if we can get a good practice week.”

Practice commences on Saturday evening from 6.20pm for the solo and sidecar newcomers and the Lightweight competitors.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White
28-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Website Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
RE: Lee Johnston could be dark horse for maiden podium
i wouldnt exactly class lee as a dark horse
very capable of doing well
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
29-05-2015, 11:14 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
RE: Lee Johnston could be dark horse for maiden podium
I've already got him down as my tip for the top.
31-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Find Reply