Grandstand at The Swan
Yamanx Offline

Threads: 12
Grandstand at The Swan
Did anyone go in there? Was it very busy did anyone notice during racing?

I had a look after the racing one day, went in for a pint, had a wander up. It wasn't a particularly good view, that I could see.

"By all means think yourself big, but never think others small........."  R.F. Scott
18-06-2015, 10:02 AM
Find Reply
maybolezx12r Offline

Threads: 28
RE: Grandstand at The Swan
We had a look at it whilst walking up to the Marshals convoy was well enough setup but as you say the view wasn`t particularly good sign said free on pracice week and £15 on raceweek im sure

Mountain Marshal from 2013 Icon_biggrin
(This post was last modified: 18-06-2015, 10:23 AM by maybolezx12r.)
18-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
I have stood/sat in quite a few of the grandstands that have appeared around the course over that last few years when there is no racing on, and watched the traffic go by to see if they are any good to watch the racing. Most of them are not!
If you watch race footage from this year, you will see a lot of these grandstands are nowhere near full,including the one on the exit from the Creg, and the one at the return lane at the Grandstand. The old veiwing spots like Braddan, Hillbery etc are still packed from very early on.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
18-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Find Reply
maybolezx12r Offline

Threads: 28
I can undertstand where teh liek sof the swan are coming from getting people on th escaffold and get them drinking and eating all day means good profits.
I sat at the one at the Creg in 2012 and never will again sit at any granstand if i can help it.I just though the people who were sitting around me were not really interested in the racing they were just there as it was easier than watching from behind the hedge etc and there was no atmospher whatsoever.Certainly didnt do anything for me sitting there like i was at the pictures.

Mountain Marshal from 2013 Icon_biggrin
18-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

Threads: 1
Fair comments guys. On race days on my journey to my usual spot, I see huge crowds at Conkerfields and Whitehouse Farm in Kirk Michael. Both are inexpensive, have no grandstands and no beer on sale. IMHO some traders are more focused on making money without any real thought as to what the spectators actually want. Sitting on a hedge or in a field with the radio glued to your ear and a good view is sooo much better than being copped up in a grandstand with a load of drinkers. After about four pints (eight for geordies) they start going to the lavvy every five minutes.

Also, both of the well publicized incursions onto closed roads involved alcohol. Just an observation of course.
18-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

Threads: 4
The only grandstand I'm fond of is at hillberry, the rest don't seem to do it for me I'm most of the time in a hedge somewhere or if I do decide on the whole stand thing its hillberry.
18-06-2015, 04:32 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Hillberry has that proper 'Old School' feel to it as well as being in a good spot, and no beer on sale ( but great burgers!)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
18-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

And not forgetting tea the most important drink created lol.
Yeah it feels old school like you say c Iom tt and it's a quick corner has the lot for me and I normally camp just up the road so can't beat it. I've got to watch at least some practice and a race day from this spot.
18-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
i have friends in ramsey and my mate stopped with them during the tt im led to believe a lot boycotted the swan because of the grandstand being there
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
18-06-2015, 05:06 PM
Find Reply
Westers Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
Grandstands are useless wherever you watch racing, and that includes short circuits.
18-06-2015, 09:50 PM
Find Reply
serowmaster Offline

im not that really into grandstands I would sooner just sit on a banking better view and cheaper smilie

GETTING OLD IS MANDATORY FEELING OLD IS OPTIONAL smilie
18-06-2015, 10:12 PM
Find Reply