What would you like to see changed for next year?
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
RE: What would you like to see changed for next year?
This numbers fiasco won't go away. I have already declared that I won't watch another race with this ridiculous system.
A race can only be followed by an iphone/computer, so you may as well stay at home, or (if you're on the Island, from a comfy café). Yes I realise that you lose the atmosphere and the excitement of watching the live action, but it is impossible to gauge how the riders from the back of the field, (who are just as important as the front runners), are performing without an iphone.
With the old system, (currently reinstated at the Manx/Classic), the whole race is easy to follow. OK, you may need a stopwatch if No. 75 is gaining on rider No. 20, but you soon get the hang of it, by referring to No20's and No.75's start time, and doing a little bit of maths. Great fun!
Now the very expensive programme is out of date, as the starting order relates to the practice. This also puts excess pressure on any competitor in qualifying, especially when they're trying to lap quickly when, (a), they don't know the course, and (b), they are experiencing problems with the bike. In addition the valuable spectator can only follow the top 20, who will obviously be doing some overtaking.
During the race, there is still the massive problem of lapped riders, and that is the biggest problem of all.
When you start No. 35, you may well catch No.34, but "hey ho", that's racing for you. You may get held up, but "hey ho", that's racing for you. What the top  boys have is fixed numbers, and "hey ho", they pass and re-pass folk, but that's racing.
The only problem is the lapping of riders, and I agree that is a safety issue, but there again, "hey ho", that's racing!!
I am the first to vote for a reasonable safety issue to put in place, but this ludicrous system has done nothing to enhance safety, as proven by the MD accident at the Nook.
03-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you like to see changed for next year? - by Dougboy - 24-06-2015, 10:45 AM
RE: What would you like to see changed for next year? - by Splashdown - 03-07-2015, 02:31 PM