What would you like to see changed for next year?
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40
RE: What would you like to see changed for next year?
(13-07-2015, 02:29 PM)Electric_Monk Wrote: I think it comes down to the cost of insuring the event.  Restricted areas are "moderately dangerous", and not open to the public, as the added risk would significantly increase the premiums;  race officials may be there as they are covered by the ACU insurance;  photographers and film crews must have appropriate insurance to be allowed in these spots.  Prohibited areas are potentially too dangerous even to risk journalists [Image: wink.gif]

My personal opinion is that there was a lot of knee-jerk reaction following the 2007 incident with ACU representatives scaring people with stories about what sort of claims they might be liable for if they allowed spectators on their property.  I agree that a sympathetic review is overdue.

Regarding where film crews stand, I'm puzzled by this.  I am an accredited photographer with £5 million of public liability insurance.  This permits me into restricted areas (if needs be at the DSM's discretion).  What it does NOT let me do is stand in escape roads or in front of safety barriers.  I have no problem with this.

TV crews however, DO stand in escape roads (Parliament Square this year) and in front of safety barriers (Creg last year).  In doing so they endanger themselves (try running with a thumping great broadcast standard camera and tripod) and riders.   This needs to change before something bad happens.
13-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Website Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you like to see changed for next year? - by Dougboy - 24-06-2015, 10:45 AM
RE: What would you like to see changed for next year? - by sticky - 13-07-2015, 06:31 PM